LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Intake gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:51 PM

Intake gasket question

This may be a really dumb question but I am in the process of swapping an intake from my 94 LT1 engine to a 93 TA LT1 engine. The intake from the 93 TA came off easy enough, in fact the intake gaskets look to be in really good shape. Is it this one of those cases where you "ALWAYS replace the gasket with new", or is it forgiving such that there is no problem to reuse the intake gaskets?
Sorry, just wondering really since I have a new gasket set ready to go on but I was impressed with the condition of the gaskets still on there. If I can trust the guy I bought the engine from when he stated that the engine only has about 3000 miles since a recent top end rebuild then maybe this would explain why the gaskets still look quite good and could justify reusing them.

Hey, every penny counts these days ( I know, I know, the gasket set only cost about $20.00).

Greg
Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 PM

Re: Intake gasket question

Greg, don't reuse them. The peace of mind alone is worth the 20 tenfold. A leak once it's all back together is not something you want. Get a tube of great stuff in the aresol can ($12) as well for the rear and front china walls. It comes out like cheese whiz and works great. If the motor is in the car, when reinstalling, it can be difficult to set the intake straight down, as not to move it once it's down. This is very important, to keep that rear china wall sealed. What I have done is grab four extra bolts, and cut the heads from them. Then I ground where the heads used to be to a pencil like point. Put two in either head by hand, a bit apart. This allows you to drop it straight down, and have it land perfect. Then start a few bolts on either head, and remove the bolts with the removed heads. Put the rest of the bolts back in, torque everything down and done. Never had a leak doing this
Old 05-05-2013, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I had a feeling that was the way to go, especially since I already bought the Fel-Pro gasket set. I'll get some of the Great Stuff. The engine is on a stand so it should be much easier.

Thanks again!

Greg
Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 PM

Much easier on a stand for sure! When the intake sets down, and the great stuff squeezes out, resist the urge to neaten it up....just let it set up Good luck with it Greg.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 AM

I use studs rather than cut bolts to set mine down and definately very helpful. I also use thread sealer on the bolts to seal any air gap as well as lubricate for better torque accuracy.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android