LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

installing roller rockers for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:28 PM

installing roller rockers for the first time

I was just making sure I was doing it right....It is a brand new engine I soaked the lifters in oil for days before install and they are the comp cams lifters....I am installing rockers per shbox.com using the 1 and 6 method....I am lifting on the rockers until they have no up and down play going maybe a 1/8 of a turn more and tightening the polylocks... The reason I am doubting myself is cause the lifters on most of them are extremely easy to compress and when running down the nuts I am able to do them by hand...I believe I have it adjusted right but I just want input....thanks guys!!

Bryan
Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by MyFastTA
I was just making sure I was doing it right....It is a brand new engine I soaked the lifters in oil for days before install and they are the comp cams lifters....I am installing rockers per shbox.com using the 1 and 6 method....I am lifting on the rockers until they have no up and down play going maybe a 1/8 of a turn more and tightening the polylocks... The reason I am doubting myself is cause the lifters on most of them are extremely easy to compress and when running down the nuts I am able to do them by hand...I believe I have it adjusted right but I just want input....thanks guys!!

Bryan
Once you are sure the lifter is on the base circle of the cam, tighten down the poly lock until all slack is taken up between the pushrod vertically. Some people argue that quite often the twisting method is inaccurate and you should just move the PR up and down until it has no more movement. Once you have found zero lash, add your preload minus 1/16th of a turn (so if your recommended preload is 1/2 turn, add 7/16 of a turn of preload. Tighten the set screw snug, then turn BOTH the poly lock AND set screw together the final 1/16th of a turn. Many people add their full preload to the poly lock then crank down the set screw only to have them loosen up.

I have never had a rocker back off with this method.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by MyFastTA

Bryan
Any method on my site will work. The reason you can run the poly lock down by hand is that there is no interference like with the stock nut. You lock it with the set screw. 1/8 turn is not much for a stock lifter. You might want to go around 1/2 or so.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 AM

thank you very much I will put a 1/2 preload on it and re do it today...I would like to get it right while it is on the stand instead of under the cowl

Thanks guys

Bryan