LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Installing LT headers..exhausted, anyone need pics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:03 PM

Installing LT headers..exhausted, anyone need pics?

I've been working on installing some Kooks LTs a few hours last night and all day today. I'm also replacing the plug wires and I think that is taking longer than the headers since the MSD 8.5 wires don't fit in any of the stock looms and I'm routing them in the stock location.
But I finally have both side of plug wires replaced, still have the passenger side header to get in tomorrow, driver side all done.
On the wires, I had to use some flat steel to make a shield to hold the wires on the passenger side from getting in the steering pump.

Anyone need any pics of the headers? I know some have been posted before, but if there's something specific let me know, its up on a lift so I can get all the underside pics you want and clearence pics. Or pics of the how I made the plug wire shield for the steering pump pully....what a royal pain those wires were!

I did have to jack the motor up, I have poly bushings too, and the steering knuckle slightly rubs one of the tubes, not going to worry about it right now, I'll put the header pipe in a vice a bend it in slightly there when I have it in the shop for a cam/head install in a few weeks. True duals coming next week.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:00 PM

Re: Installing LT headers..exhausted, anyone need pics?

What a job a LT header install is, eh?
Old 03-18-2006, 11:15 PM

Where did you get your motor mounts from and how much did you pay for them? Also, where do you jack the motor up from and how high?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Szizzle
Where did you get your motor mounts from and how much did you pay for them? Also, where do you jack the motor up from and how high?

Thanks
I got the poly mounts from Thunderracing.com.
I jacked the motor up with a board placed under the crank pulley. The sway bar is slight ly in the way, but it sticks out enough to get a good bite on it with a 2x4 or 4x4. I used a 5 ft 4x4 with the floor jack, the car was about 6 feet in the air on the lift. Raise 1 side at a time, only needs to be raised about 1-1.5 inches. Its the bulges in the front sub-frame or K member that you need the extra room to clear and it gets the widest part of the head further up from the steering shaft.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:35 PM

Hey Rob, I just looked at your pics. That suspension setup on the vert TA is just what Im looking for. You actually had to fab that X brace up yourself?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:14 PM

Thumbs up Re: Installing LT headers..exhausted, anyone need pics?

I just recently finished a Kook's LT install and I only had to jack the motor up on the passenger side a few inches to get the clearance I needed. I pulled the motor mount, unbolted the tranny mount, put a 25 lb. olympic weight on a floor jack and jacked the motor up by the oil pan. Heard of some people denting the oil pan in doing it this way, but this didn't happen to me. I guess I just had good luck. My car was also just at normal jackstand height. Did it laying on my back. On the driver's side I didn't have to jack the motor up, I put it in from the top (no oil filter in the way). I did have to remove the steering connection for clearance. My header is close to the steering linkage (1/4" away), but doesn't rub on the header in any position. Strange yours does.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Josh'95Z28conv
Hey Rob, I just looked at your pics. That suspension setup on the vert TA is just what Im looking for. You actually had to fab that X brace up yourself?
Yep, no one makes a replacement brace that I'm aware of and I wanted to keep it and have enough room to run the true duals over it, so I made the one in the pics by taking the Spohn tunnel brace for the torque arm and adding the "X" to it and a slight mod to the tranny x-member.

Hey Harvey, I guess some are lucky when it comes to this stuff, I sure wasn't and the car has never been hit...guess its just GM's way off tolerances
Old 03-19-2006, 11:04 PM

Thumbs up Re: Installing LT headers..exhausted, anyone need pics?

Yeah, but that sucks for you. I wonder if just maybe the headers are made a little bit off? Give 'em a call and see what they say.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Harvey
Yeah, but that sucks for you. I wonder if just maybe the headers are made a little bit off? Give 'em a call and see what they say.
That could be too, not sure why they routed them where they did, they could have easily moved that primary tube over and in a different location. It's not that bad, it just barely touches it on the wider part of the steering knuckle on the shaft. Nothing a little denting with a c-clamp can't fix when they are off the car in a few weeks. I've read a few posts when people have had similar issues.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:09 PM

Ide like to see some ground clearance pics and see what you did with the Y pipe. Are you getting a pre made Y pipe from kooks or making it yourself? 1, 2 or no cats?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by gt_biker13
Ide like to see some ground clearance pics and see what you did with the Y pipe. Are you getting a pre made Y pipe from kooks or making it yourself? 1, 2 or no cats?
I'll try to post up some tonight with only the headers installed, ground clearance looks very good. Pics I took are on home computer.. Car is at the muffler shop now getting the rest of the pipes on, it will be a true dual setup with 2 cats.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:51 PM

Here's the pics I have:
From the side underneath
http://hometown.aol.com/onebadwskier...headerside.jpg

From the rear underneath
http://hometown.aol.com/onebadwskier...bottomrear.jpg

From the front underneath, you can clearly see that they barely come down any lower than anything else here
http://hometown.aol.com/onebadwskier...ottomfront.jpg

From the top driver side
http://hometown.aol.com/onebadwskier...adersDStop.jpg
Old 03-20-2006, 09:24 PM

Looking good so far. Is it going over the axel?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by gt_biker13
Looking good so far. Is it going over the axel?
Yep. I should have it back from the muffler shop Wed or Thurs, I dropped it off there today. 3" thru the cats to the "X" above the tunnel brace and then probably neck down to 2.5" somewhere after the X and before the axle.
Can get more pics this w/e when I put it up on the lift with it done.