LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how to remove k&n filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 04:30 PM

how to remove k&n filter

My k&n CAI was installed when i got the car. I'd like to clean the filter but am not sure of how to take it out. Can this be done without a jack (I live in an apartment and have no jack).

Looking down from the top, I see one bolt holding a plate down, the plate connects to the CAI case. Im assuming the filter is on the other side of the plate. I cant get this bolt out, I think there is a nut on the other side of it (it keeps turning and turning). Even if i had a jack, I dont see how i could have one hand on the nut and the other around the outside of the car on the bolt. Does this require 2 people, or am I missing something?
Old 10-09-2004, 04:35 PM

Re: how to remove k&n filter

I remove mine from the bottom. I think there are like 6 or so bolts under the driver side front of the car. You have to remove the plastic piece to get to it. Then either just pull real hard on the cone from the bottom or you can unscrew the clamp with a screw driver, i just usually yank on it and it slips off.... I would jack up the driver side front. Your car should have come with a jack. All in all its a very easy process.... I just leave that plastic piece off of mine, it gets colder air directly to the cone filter, but the downside is that you have to be careful in the rain and clean it more often but hey, I live in TEXAS!! Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 10-09-2004, 05:01 PM

I thought of using that jack, but the possibility of the car falling on top of me makes me nervous. I'll get some jackstands/safety stands and try it out. Thanx for the help man.

Last edited by med_reject; 10-09-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:30 PM

Just take the plastic panel off from under the car and pull the cone off like stated above. No need to touch the bolt into the plate. You don't even need to jack it up. My buddy has a 96z28 and it is lowered a little over an inch I think and we did his cai no problem without have it jacked up. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:22 PM

Yeah, you can do it without a jack. Taking off the filter's easy, but putting it back on...it would be quicker to have a second person to hold the plastic tube down as you push the filter up. It can be done by yourself, but you basically have to hug the corner of your car, which makes it hard to align filter to the tube. I've heard people putting newspaper on the plastic tube and then closing the hood. Personally, next time I do...just grab someone for 5 minutes.

Also, make sure you do a good job of tightening the screw on the clamp. It hasn't happened to me, but heard stories on the Board about the filter falling off.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:45 AM

thanx guys

well, at least now i have a hydraulic jack and jackstands. In retrospect, it made it easier. I must admit, its scary to see that thing roll on the wheels as you're lifting the car, but i guess its supposed to to maintiain the alignment.

Is it normal for the filter to still be black after washing it? I thought it should be red or whitish.

Last edited by med_reject; 10-10-2004 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by med_reject
thanx guys

well, at least now i have a hydraulic jack and jackstands. In retrospect, it made it easier. I must admit, its scary to see that thing roll on the wheels as you're lifting the car, but i guess its supposed to to maintiain the alignment.

Is it normal for the filter to still be black after washing it? I thought it should be red or whitish.

Did you clean it with the K&N cleaning material? And did you put the red OIL back on it and let it sit for a while afterwards?? How did you clean it, because it definitely shouldnt be black still.....

Chris
Old 10-10-2004, 10:15 PM

i cleaned it two more times after that post. BOY was that thing damn filthy. I used a whole bottle of k&n cleaner.

The metal on the outside is still black, but the cotton on the inside is pink. There is a bit of staining from the oily dirt thats been in there for years, but its alright. I put the oil back in they way it said. I put the filter back in alone, there was no need to hold the tube from above because its bolted down.

Now im going drive a couple of hundreds miles to visit my friend
Old 10-11-2004, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by med_reject
i cleaned it two more times after that post. BOY was that thing damn filthy. I used a whole bottle of k&n cleaner.

The metal on the outside is still black, but the cotton on the inside is pink. There is a bit of staining from the oily dirt thats been in there for years, but its alright. I put the oil back in they way it said. I put the filter back in alone, there was no need to hold the tube from above because its bolted down.

Now im going drive a couple of hundreds miles to visit my friend

Good stuff... If it was as bad as you say then you probably picked up some lost hp off it.LOL
Old 10-11-2004, 03:52 PM

it sure feels like i did