LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How long does it take YOU to change your spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 12:17 AM

How long does it take YOU to change your spark plugs?

I'm looking to do my spark plugs, but I'm not looking forward to it, as I've heard it can be quite a pain. Stock 94' Trans Am.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:28 AM

Re: How long does it take YOU to change your spark plugs?

My 95 takes about 40 min.. The SS takes alot longer... Headers make the job alot easier... GOOD LUCK
Old 10-07-2004, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by LPE Z convt
My 95 takes about 40 min.. The SS takes alot longer... Headers make the job alot easier... GOOD LUCK
Here we go again....

"Yea, I can change mine in 15 minutes with one hand, smoking a cigar and a double whopper with extra onions in the other hand....hmmm now I might as well drop the engine through the bottom in the next 30 minutes to make things easier..."

I'm sure the times will get lower and lower as you get more replies to this post....

Honestly, it was the first thing I did on a 4thgen. Took me half a day to do wires and plugs the first time. I can probably do it in under 2 hours now....(stock manifolds)... less with the long tubes.

Last edited by madwolf; 10-07-2004 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:46 AM

I have small hands..prolly looking at an hour or two with stock manifolds... I installed the plugs in my car in about 30mins with my BBK Shortys.. just made it a ton easier. Prolly an hour to change them out with headers.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:50 AM

I did it in 5 minutes, no joke, stock manifolds...mind you the manifolds were off and I had just put the heads on, lol.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:56 AM

jack the car up. The drivers side takes maybe 15 minutes. The passenger side is APITA!
Old 10-07-2004, 01:24 AM

with jacking the car and getting tools and all (which always consumes a surprising amount of time) i'd probably allot myself 2-3 hours if i was doing just plugs, but it would take way less then that if i really moved. probably under an hour if i didnt hit any snags or distractions. driver side is a breeze, passenger side is well, probably an hour in itself. im so slow though, takes me like an hour to do an oil change cuz im lazy and go off and do something and come back later when i remember the car is still in the air.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by madwolf
Here we go again....

"Yea, I can change mine in 15 minutes with one hand, smoking a cigar and a double whopper with extra onions in the other hand....hmmm now I might as well drop the engine through the bottom in the next 30 minutes to make things easier..."

I'm sure the times will get lower and lower as you get more replies to this post....

Honestly, it was the first thing I did on a 4thgen. Took me half a day to do wires and plugs the first time. I can probably do it in under 2 hours now....(stock manifolds)... less with the long tubes.
Ion you kill me ....
Old 10-07-2004, 03:30 AM

honestly, it took me about 45 minutes to do my last plug change.
the drivers side takes literally, less than 10 minutes. with no A.I.R. or sway bar, and the plastic cover on the steering linkage removed, they're all EASY to reach with long tube headers.

the passenger side is a bit tougher, the #2 plug is the hardest to get to, #8 is hard too, but if you take off the starter it's a little easier.

all that makes it a little easier for me....not to mention i have a nifty boxed' end wrench that's bent and makes it a little easier.

but on a STOCK 4th gen, you're looking at a couple hours.

changing the wires still takes forever tho...
Old 10-07-2004, 04:16 AM

it completely depends on the headers you have. i think stock manifolds would have been easier than my slp shorties. i had to unbolt those things and the y-pipe so i could move them to a different position for each plug. with me going to school and the fact that im a bit lazy, it took me 3 days

have fun
Old 10-07-2004, 05:47 AM

Before the long tube install.........it took me 10 hours! 10 VERY long frusterating hours. I did plugs and wires. Plugs were a pita but would have taking 3-4 hours. The wires on the other hand, were a MAJOR PITA. That was my first time doing it on a f-body, if I would have had to do it a second time with the car factory I could have done it alot quicker because I knew what all I had to take off and were all the bolts were. Have fun.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:48 AM

Conduct a search, and you will see many posts on this subject....

By the way, for all those non-believers, I can change mine in 30-45 minutes,and stock manifolds..... Practice makes perfect.....
Old 10-07-2004, 07:58 AM

With Edelbrock shorty's it takes me about 2 hours to change my plugs on a lift! The drivers side is fairly easy, but the passenger side is a bitch. I have big hands and arms too, so when Im done it looks like my arm went through a cheese shredder. Removing the starter would definately make it easier for me. I've never changed plugs on a F-body with stock manifolds, but I did it on a B-body one time. I wanted to slit my wrists. I think plugs and wires took ~5 hours, and this was in a shop with a lift and all the proper tools. It's doable, bit you WILL get frustrated. Just take your time and don't get in a hurry.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:15 AM

good luck man. I ended up breaking one of the plugs off inside the block trying to get it out. ended up having to bring it to a shop and have them get the broken one out and do the rest of em. Now that ive had my engine rebuilt and the SLP's put on im hoping to never have to do it or when i do ill probably just pay to have it done.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:34 AM

I have hooker headers and no Airpump, it takes about 20 minutes for the drivers side and about 30 to 40 minutes (depending on how many times I drop the socket) on the pass side.

Quick Reply: How long does it take YOU to change your spark plugs?