LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HOOKER HEADERS longtube for 93+ TA and Z's (are they for real?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 12:43 AM

Talking HOOKER HEADERS longtube for 93+ TA and Z's (are they for real?)

I just purchased a set of Hooker longtube headers for my 95 pontiac trans am. Part # 2231. I have heard good things about these headers, many people who know a lot about a LT1 tell me that these are the best headers on the market. I just want to know what people think of the HP gaind that come out of these hi flow light wieght headers. I KNOW the install is not going to be very fun at all but i know i am going to love the sound and HP gains that come out of these bad boys. Please respond to this post and tell me the best way to install these and what you thought about the power gains. THANKS ALOT PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 05:07 AM

As for the install....do a search, it is a highly talked about subject these days. I have them sitting in my bedroom waiting on my hooker y-pipe to get released (preordered) I have the jet hot lts which are basically the same. I'm told they are a PITA to install. the gains are roughly 15-30 rwhp. Someone who actually has em installed might know more. But again, just do a search about the install and you'll get plenty of info.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:14 AM

I have the same headers, did you get yours coated? If not I highly recommend you have Jet Hot coat your headers. The install is a PITA and that is an understatement. If you plan on lowering your car I would go with a shorty header cause ground clearance is a BIG issue. I thought I would be ok with my clearance cause I put in a Drag Launch kit, but no such luck. To be fair I have 15x5 Welds for the front and with the tires I was running I was an inch smaller in diameter over my salad shooter/Potenza setup. I put the salad shooter/Potenza setup back on yesterday and I seem to have gained a decent bit of ride height. Ground clearance for the headers still aint a whole lot but I don,t scrape everything now. Getting the headers in for me was not too bad, I had my tranny out for rebuild so it went easier. There are some wires that need to be extended and rerouted and I suggest you do all of this stuff BEFORE you put the headers in. Take the old manifolds out, now do your extensions and relocating, starter wires, knock sensor, and a ground wire on the passenger side need done, O2 sensors need to be extended and relocated, cruise control cable needs to be put behind the heat shield for the brake lines. I had to remove that same shield and put some heat tape on the inside and clearance it a bit to keep it off the brake lines, I also had to heat wrap the fuel lines under the car where the exhaust pipe will travel close to them. I had to reroute the ABS wires as well. Basically, if it looks too close to header heat you need to do something about it. My install went pretty smooth and what took the most time was messing with the steering linkage (unbolt the top and move it out of the way) and the wire extensions.
PB blaster is your friend, coat the exhaust manifold bolts in blaster and let it sit overnite, all my bolts came out real easy.
Since you went with the 2231s I am assuming you don,t have to worry about emissions, If not I would get rid of the EGR and the AIR pump. I also removed my AC, this will make tons of room in your engine compartment to work with.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:42 AM

You will absolutely love these pieces. They are a great mod for the 4th gen Fbodies. The install is long but not very hard. Where do you live? If in the N.Texas area, you can come over to my garage, bring a 12 pack, and learn how to put them in your car. The headers give the car such a different feeling. But be sure before you are ready to install these you have all the necessary "little things" that you don't think of before you get started.
You will need:
Hooker Longtube headers
Y pipe
02 wire extensions
Universal wires
new plugs (good time to replace while you are in there)
PCM flash
Heat tape
grinder
RTV gasket maker (blue and red)
PB Blaster
header bolts
header gaskets
EGR block off plates

Probably more that I am forgetting.
Anyways good luck and do a search on this website for Hooker or Longtube install
Old 07-18-2003, 08:00 AM

One more important item: do yourself a big favor and buy a set of mechanic's gloves. Seriously. Your hands will thank you afterwards.

They're around $20 or less and can be found at most auto parts stores (Auto-Zone, Napa, etc).
Old 07-18-2003, 10:40 AM

the install has pretty much been covered,but i didnt have to move nearly as much as these guys are saying. abs wires need to be moved and the )2's need to be extended,but that is all i changed.

As far as performance,i didnt the CSI pump and headers at the same time,gained roughly 5/10's and 4.5 mph in the 1/4.

I have no dyno numbers to offer,cause my car has never been strapped down to 1.