LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HO2 not ready

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 PM

HO2 not ready

Please help me out here - this is the only monitor in obd2 pcm which is always not ready, and I need it to be ready to keep my plates. Many cold starts, no codes. Can it be programmed out / threshold modified / simulated input? Anybody has a description of what pcm expects from sensors for this monitor to change state?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 PM

Search is not helping How is pcm running this test and what it is looking for? All 4 heaters seems to work OK, at least no codes reporting breakage in heater circuit...
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Re: HO2 not ready

It appears there are a number of items that must be met before the system check can even be run. I found this on a "GM Techs" post on a bulletin board. I don't know if it applies directly to the LT1, but it gives you an idea of the types of things that may prevent the "system ready" test from being run = system not ready. By the way, this HO2S system ready does not apply to the "heaters".... it applies to the heated O2 sensors.

DESCRIPTION

The purpose of this test is to satisfy the enable criteria necessary to execute I/M readiness diagnostics for the oxygen sensor (O2S, HO2S) system. The test may be used to set the I/M System Status to YES. Ensure the vehicle meets the requirements listed in Conditions for Running before performing this test. Failure to meet the necessary requirements may produce inaccurate test results.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING

The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is more than 70°C (158°F) .
The engine is running in Closed Loop fuel control.
The engine has been running for more than 1 minute .
The battery voltage is between 11.6-16 volts .
The fuel ethanol content is less than 15 percent .
The fuel level is more than 10 percent .
Source:

GM Techs.........Emission System Question - Yellow Bullet Forums
Old 07-25-2012, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
It appears there are a number of items that must be met before the system check can even be run. I found this on a "GM Techs" post on a bulletin board. I don't know if it applies directly to the LT1, but it gives you an idea of the types of things that may prevent the "system ready" test from being run = system not ready. By the way, this HO2S system ready does not apply to the "heaters".... it applies to the heated O2 sensors.

Source:

GM Techs.........Emission System Question - Yellow Bullet Forums
Thank you!!! A lot of good information. It looks like readings from a cold start may not be that important. I'll try to put some more miles at different conditions to see if something changes. That happened after car was sitting almost 5 years in the garage and I finally fixed a dropped valve... I have also one extra pcm to try...
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 AM

Re: HO2 not ready

Sometime the monitors need 20 freeway miles or more no street miles.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:57 AM

Ok, its ready now. What made a trick - several completely cold starts (hard to achieve in almost 100 degrees weather). So pcm was looking at the readings changes when going from open to closed loop. And it should be done several times....