LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hesitation off idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by i420tom
I cant let this thread die. It like six years old and talks about one of my problems.

Could someone please finish the following sentance for me???

I got rid of my intake backfire (pop underhood) when give it lots of gas below 2k rpm by doing............................................. .....
May I suggest a sig with information. What has changed?

Also, suggest starting a new thread.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 PM

done..... new gm o2 sensors. tried millions of different tune setups but was doing it when the car and the tune was stock. I basically just been throwing parts at it ever since.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:37 PM

sig didnt show this post is a test to try to get it to show up. worked!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:01 PM

I also have a intake backfire (pop underhood) when give it lots of gas below 2k rpm. Brand new motor. 500miles or so on it.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 PM

well, there are a lot of posts here, but I would just like to point out that I was getting hesitation off idle at one point and the pop under the hood...this was not consistent and would clear itself up after a few minutes. It finally threw a code for MAF system failure, so I can only assume that was my issue.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Re: Hesitation off idle

I know this Forum is waaay old but its obvious people still check it out because this problem has still not been solved. But ive had the exact same problems after a rebuilt of the upper end of the engine. My problem appears to be a bad line of black sealant between the block and air manifold. Which is causing a vacuum leak. Idk if thats for sure but its worth a shot for the people who have blown mad money on sensors and parts that they don't understand why they have to be replaced again. Its in a very odd spot that almost nobody ever checks. The sealant can get brittle in extremely cold conditions, and get all gooey in extreme heat. When the engine heats up, it may stay in place at first but once the car is warmed up develope a hole and cause a vacuum leak. and once you hit 2500 rpm the pistons catch the extra fuel and ignite and fire the car off and by that rpm the air is rushing way too fast to matter for the hole. Just my thought on the issue. I'm only 17 though so i can be hitting left field. lemme know what you think. The other thing thou, is that almost every sensor malfunction on the camaros causes the SAME problem, so it can be one or the other, or in some causes even both.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 PM

I actually got mine fixed. I just needed alot more than stock timing at the lower rpms and high map. I have only bolt ons which is y i didnt think i needed this but upon some advise I tried it and what do u know. It works. Been driving it since spring of 2010 with new added timing and never once a pop after 7 years of poping
Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jkicak
how many people with this prob have stick or auto? i have the same prob but i wonder if it's just that my clutch does not want to grab... i have replaced opti, plugs, temp sens, KM, and have the car hooked up to a computer with everything reading normal....

------------------
1995 Firebrid Formula M6: hurst shifter w/ Lou's short stick, !CAGS,!MAF, !TB, K&N FIPK, 1LE intake elbow, Borla catback, LT4 KM, 1300w sound system.

pic: 95 Formula
I've just started having this issue, Opti and ignition module have been changed, still have the problem, and it's an auto trans.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM

I'll go ahead and throw my experiences in as well since this will always be a recurring issue for us. Mine hesitates slightly after start up and continues for a little amount of time. But, after that it also stumbles and stutters a lot too. So mine has more issues then just the hesitation, it also seems to have these problems in both open and closed loop cycles.

So far I have replaced: TPS, BOTH coolant temp sensors(WP and block), IAC valve, PCV valve, MAP sensor, Cleaned MAF, replaced numerous deteriorated hoses and vacuum lines, did the ICM cooling mod, EGR valve good, Flushed cooling system, replaced left bank o2(checking right bank currently), and my problem(s) persist. I have another thread on just my vehicle which is getting a lot of help and views but I saw this pop up and figured I would take a look.

I also have an intake leak though and I believe I may end up just having to pull the distributor but I would rather find out the solution is simpler than the distributor. But I suspect I'll have to change it anyways since the leak could be effecting it. But, all my sensors tested with low voltage or improper values anyway so they needed to be changed. These problems are gremlins with these cars!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chevycobb
well, there are a lot of posts here, but I would just like to point out that I was getting hesitation off idle at one point and the pop under the hood...this was not consistent and would clear itself up after a few minutes. It finally threw a code for MAF system failure, so I can only assume that was my issue.
Well I no longer own the car, but I do remember this happening. It did in fact turn out to be the MAF sensor being my problem. Cleaning it did not do enough. I replaced it with another stock unit(no aftermarket crap that claims HP gains...those are BS) and it drove smooth after that.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 PM

Sadly the MAF is the only sensor I believe I haven't actually "checked" I just cleaned it....hmmmm o.0