LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help with pusher fan(s)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 03:24 AM

Help with pusher fan(s)...

I'm looking to buy one or two "pusher" fans to mount on the front of my radiator to supplement the OE fans. I'm leaning towards going with two 12" fans, as opposed to a single 16" fan. Reason is, I found a 12" pusher fan that flows 3000 cfm, so if I were to place two on there, I'd have a total of 6000 cfm of air being pushed through the radiator. My real question is (and ultimately the deciding factor as to what fans I buy), if my "pusher" fans flow a higher cfm than the OE "puller" fans, will that cause cooling problems? Should I try to aim for an equal cfm between the pushers and the pullers? What other factors must I consider when choosing my pusher fan(s)??
Old 05-14-2006, 01:17 PM

Re: Help with pusher fan(s)...

Anyone have any helpful info in this area??
Old 05-15-2006, 09:19 AM

Can I get away with a 30 amp fused relay wiring kit to run both pusher fans, or will I need to buy a relay kit for each fan? Each fan has a 7.5 amp draw, so that'd be 15 amps on a 30 amp fuse. That sounds like it'd be fine, but I'm not an electrical systems guru...
Old 06-11-2006, 05:22 PM

so did you ever get this worked out? this is exactly what I've been thinking about.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by JWS6
so did you ever get this worked out? this is exactly what I've been thinking about.
TTT
Old 08-12-2006, 08:38 PM

Post Re: Help with pusher fan(s)...

Ok, I'll take a shot at it.
Originally Posted by SGFuryZ
I'm looking to buy one or two "pusher" fans to mount on the front of my radiator to supplement the OE fans.
Why is this? do you have overheating issues at idle or low speeds?
I'm leaning towards going with two 12" fans, as opposed to a single 16" fan. Reason is, I found a 12" pusher fan that flows 3000 cfm, so if I were to place two on there, I'd have a total of 6000 cfm of air being pushed through the radiator.
The stock rad is 22"x17" I belive. Given the two options, I go for the dual 12" over a 16". Both options fit on the core fine, but the blade area (and total air flow) would be more in the dual 12's.

16" with 5" motor (dead zone) = 35 square inches
dual 12" with 5" motor (dead zone) = 44 square inches

This however is very touchy... the dead zones (the motors) from the pusher fans should be overtop of the puller-fan motors, or else you have just doubled the area of a dead zones in the core.

My real question is (and ultimately the deciding factor as to what fans I buy), if my "pusher" fans flow a higher cfm than the OE "puller" fans, will that cause cooling problems?
This one's easy... no it won't. Pushers are auxillary fans and work fine in series, just like fuel pumps or water pumps.
Should I try to aim for an equal cfm between the pushers and the pullers? What other factors must I consider when choosing my pusher fan(s)??
No need to match them.

Do you have AC? If so your pusher fans will be mounting over a AC condensor and will be directly exposed to road debris. The stock fans are in an ideal location, are very study and strong units, so I'm not really sure why you're looking at pusher fans at all. They have to be implimented well to give you any benfits and I think you'd fine better options out there for better cooling (like a thicker core, a supplimental water pump, or a bottle of water wetter).
Old 08-12-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by SGFuryZ
Can I get away with a 30 amp fused relay wiring kit to run both pusher fans, or will I need to buy a relay kit for each fan? Each fan has a 7.5 amp draw, so that'd be 15 amps on a 30 amp fuse. That sounds like it'd be fine, but I'm not an electrical systems guru...
1 fuse for the two of them is fine. A 30Amp fuse is about right for the two of them, as long as its a standard ATC blade-style auto fuse. Fast fuses will pop on the inital current spike, but the balde-type ones we use in autos will be fine.

Might want to consider a 30 Amp circuit breaker instead, but that's really just a matter of preferance.