LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help me find this hose PLEASE

Old 11-27-2014, 02:06 AM

Help me find this hose PLEASE

I'm desperately looking for this broken hose for my 97 lt1:

Name:  IMG_1589.jpg
Views: 5858
Size:  107.9 KB

I've been searching quite a bit for the correct GM part number for what seems to be the hose marked as 1 in the following diagram:
Name:  venthose.gif
Views: 5364
Size:  14.9 KB

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Cheers
Old 11-27-2014, 05:43 AM

Re: Help me find this hose PLEASE

Gm 10128365
Old 11-27-2014, 09:07 AM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

HOSE. Engine Crankcase Ventilation for 1997 Chevrolet Camaro. #10128365

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=10128365
Old 11-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Administrator

The first place to check for part numbers is Shoebox's site. The part number for the hose (which is correct in the above posts) is there.

1993-1997 F-Body Part Number Collection
Old 11-27-2014, 11:04 AM

Thank you guys! I'm not sure about the name or function of that specific part (was searching for "trottle body vent").

Turns out the original owner used some heavy taping to "fix it", and I just found out it was broken while doing some other work.
A bit of oil came out of the hose while removing the electrical tape.

The hose attaches to a hole towards the firewall that seems not 100% sealed (some dry oil is present in the surrounding).

How bad and what could be the consequence of running the car in this state?
Old 11-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Administrator

The hose supplies fresh, filtered, MAF measured air from a passage in front of and between the throttle blades. The air flows through the hose to the grommeted hole in the passenger side valve cover. There is a plastic elbow that pushes into the grommet.

That air is pulled through the crankcase and lifter valley by vacuum from the PCV valve on the driver side of the intake manifold. If the system leaks air, it means it is bypassing the MAF sensor. Minor lean condition that the PCM can correct based on feedback from the O2 sensors.

Some oil inthe line is not unusual. When crankcase pressure builds when vacuum is low, the crankcase blowby vapor can flow out of the valve cover, entraining oil mist. If you find a lot of oil, it may indicate excessive piston ring blowby.

Good idea to keep the PCV system in good shape.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The hose supplies fresh, filtered, MAF measured air from a passage in front of and between the throttle blades. The air flows through the hose to the grommeted hole in the passenger side valve cover. There is a plastic elbow that pushes into the grommet.

That air is pulled through the crankcase and lifter valley by vacuum from the PCV valve on the driver side of the intake manifold. If the system leaks air, it means it is bypassing the MAF sensor. Minor lean condition that the PCM can correct based on feedback from the O2 sensors.

Some oil inthe line is not unusual. When crankcase pressure builds when vacuum is low, the crankcase blowby vapor can flow out of the valve cover, entraining oil mist. If you find a lot of oil, it may indicate excessive piston ring blowby.

Good idea to keep the PCV system in good shape.
Thank you for the excellent in depth explanation.

The plastic elbow that attaches on the throttle body side is the piece that broke. Not sure if part# 10128365 includes it. Can anyone confirm?

I will also replace the grommet at the back since it is not attaching to the valve cover securely.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Administrator

There is no plastic elbow ar the throttle body. There is a 90-deg bend in the hose, and the end of the hose slips over the larger, upper nipple on the throttle body.

Below the upper nipple, there is a smaller nipple for the plastic line from the EVAP purge solenoid on the bracket on the passenger side of the intake manifold. The small diameter plastic EVAP line connects to a rubber elbow that has a larger diameter that slips over the throttle body nipple. The EVAP line and elbow assembly is discontinued, and can be replicated using a length of hard plastic line from an auto parts store, plus a rubber 90-deg spark plug boot.

Is that possibly the elbow you are referring to?
Old 11-27-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
There is no plastic elbow ar the throttle body. There is a 90-deg bend in the hose, and the end of the hose slips over the larger, upper nipple on the throttle body.

Below the upper nipple, there is a smaller nipple for the plastic line from the EVAP purge solenoid on the bracket on the passenger side of the intake manifold. The small diameter plastic EVAP line connects to a rubber elbow that has a larger diameter that slips over the throttle body nipple. The EVAP line and elbow assembly is discontinued, and can be replicated using a length of hard plastic line from an auto parts store, plus a rubber 90-deg spark plug boot.

Is that possibly the elbow you are referring to?
Just got home, unwrapped the hose and, as you mention, it's one plastic piece.

I was just about to ask about the rubber elbow that you describe. Mine is starting to crack.

Where can we get this part?
Seems like the diamater is different each side of the elbow.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Gotta read what I posted. The EVAP assembly is discontinued by GM. I explained a way to replace the elbow. Many people have done it with a spark plug boot.

If using a spark plug boot isn't to your liking, check ebay. Someone may be selling aftermarket replacements. The Shoebox link has the part # for the complete assembly.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:42 PM

Like Injuneer says try e-bay.They are listed under ( breather hose 1993-1997), and I saw one for $14.99 and another for $27.99.Hope this helps.But I would go to a auto parts store that sells hoses by the foot ,just get the same size.Might be cheaper.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
Like Injuneer says try e-bay.They are listed under ( breather hose 1993-1997), and I saw one for $14.99 and another for $27.99.Hope this helps.But I would go to a auto parts store that sells hoses by the foot ,just get the same size.Might be cheaper.
I found by accident that you can cut and use Gates #18254 as a breather hose.
This part # is suppose to be the radiator to coolant reservoir hose.

I ended up not using it since I decided not to mess with the factory crimped hose that sits under the battery.

The Gates' hose works since it has different hole diamaters at each end. One must cut the hose around here to get an air tight fit on the plastic tube's end:

Name:  IMG_1646.jpg
Views: 2098
Size:  27.7 KB

This is how it compares to the original.
Name:  IMG_1649.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  25.9 KB

Once installed, I was able to achieve an airtight seal on both ends. It's thicker and will stay in place much better than the original.

Cost- around $16 shipped.

Hope someone in a similar situation can save time and money by buying this hose online.