LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

help me build a daily driver...badboy...!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:07 AM

Talking help me build a daily driver...badboy...!

so im looking to build a daily driver bad boy well not to bad....but im looking into gettin a le cam and i already have full exhaust including headers and k&n intake...but im still a newb with cars and camaros since im only 20 and this is my second car, but im hearing about porting my heads? i really dont get the idea?....but im here to listen and learn....if i do port them how would that help me and y? also am i better of buying heads from somewhere online or porting my own? let me know guys all comments will help me, thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Administrator

The limiting factor in producing HP is how much air you can stuff in the cylinders. Ported heads (reshaping the intake and exhaust runners) increases the flow capacity of the head's intake and exhaust runners, allowing the engine to take in more air (= more HP, when matched with the required amount of fuel, which is easy to supply) and get the combustion products out of the cylinders faster. Same thing you are doing when you install a cam with greater duration or lift... allowing higher air flow into the cylinders. Same thing you are doing with a cold air intake. Same thing you are doing with a freer-flowing exhaust system. Get more air in, dump out the products of combustion - make it breathe.

The stock heads can be ported to support up to 500HP at the flywheel. It that's enough for you, stick with the stock heads.... it will be cheaper. If its not enough, there are aftermarket heads available that will up the HP level, after they are ported. It takes a lot of skill to make big HP. You would be better off finding someone with a good reputation for producing HP results. The fact that you had to ask the question tells me you may not know enough to port your own heads effectively.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by felon_gt1
so im looking to build a daily driver bad boy well not to bad....but im looking into gettin a le cam and i already have full exhaust including headers and k&n intake...but im still a newb with cars and camaros since im only 20 and this is my second car, but im hearing about porting my heads? i really dont get the idea?....but im here to listen and learn....if i do port them how would that help me and y? also am i better of buying heads from somewhere online or porting my own? let me know guys all comments will help me, thanks
listen to fred
Old 06-14-2009, 05:59 PM

OH TRUST ME IM LISTENING....ya well i have a buddy i work with that has a 94 383strocker in his z28...and he tells me that the ppl he did his port work are good ppl and they know what their doing, so im prob gonna go with them...but i just needed to understand what it meant first....thaks for the help INJUNEER, it really help me.....
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Just for background info, check out head porters like Lloyd Elliott, Advanced Induction and TEA. Proven results.