LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP LT1 Temp Riseing and falling with throttle!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 12:57 PM

HELP LT1 Temp Riseing and falling with throttle!!!!

Just like it says in the subject, if I have to stop at a stop light for any amount of time my temp will jump up to about 240-250 just below the redline for temp.
As SOON as I give it gas to take off it drops down to 200-210.
I mean its allmost instant.
both my cooling fans are running.
this just started to happen within the last month or so.

Anyone else ever have this problem?
I did a search on Temprature but did not pull up anything like this....

Help....
Old 04-10-2004, 01:07 PM

first Im guessing you havent made any changes to the cooling system lately.

my first guess would be weak water pump output. as in almost no flow at low rpms, but w/eng. speed it turns the pump faster, pushing more coolant. make sure all your coolant lines are not kinked, make sure the coolant is in good shape and full, take off the rad. top cover (4- 10 mm bolts) and make sure the front of the radiator isnt full of debris (ie. leafs, dirt, dead animals, whattever). the fins in the air cond. condensor are much larger and let stuff through that will get stuck in the radiator fins. if the rad. is clogged on the front side, you can take a garden hose and shoot water from the eng. side through the rad. fins to dislodge most of it. another poss. is the thermostat maybe stuck partially open and not allowing enough flow through it either. try all that stuff before you replace the waterpump. good luck and keep us posted.
chris
Old 04-10-2004, 01:07 PM

Check your coolant level - sounds like it might be low.

Greg
Old 04-11-2004, 01:54 AM

Definitely check coolant level. Last time I was at the track, when I was in the staging lanes, temp would come up to about 210, pretty rapidly too. As soon as I brought the revs up, temp went back down. Turned out I had less than half the coolant in the system.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:26 PM

ok First Off I want to say thanks for those of you that responded.

Second the first thing I did was check the coolant lvl and it was low, so I filled it. But the problem did'nt go away. (at least i THOUGHT i filled it)

There must have been a lot of traped air cause after reading the responces here i went and rechecked it and sure as **** it was low again. my first thought was there was a leak, but now it seems to be staying toped off, (after filling it three times and running it to warm up and letting it cool down and refiulling after.
Now it seems to be operating like it used to.

thats the weirdest damn thing I have ever seen.

Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:50 PM

Did you bleed the system every time you added coolant?

The next mystery is to figure out where the coolant is going, it doesn't just disappear. Check the water pump weep hole, all the hoses for pinhole leaks, cracked radiator side tanks, etc.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:50 PM

the reason it seemed to be full, but then not after it cooled off is cause you have to bleed the air out of the system after it gets low and you refill it. you do this by slightly loosening those screwdriver fittings in the coolant hoses in front of the eng. w/the eng off, crack one loose. some air will come out, then it will turn into a full stream. shut it and top off again. then loosen the other one until it is a full stream, then shut and top off again. then your all done. and make sure the overflow reservoir is full (on the dipstick). that was prolly it. now you need to figure out where it went in the first place.
good luck.
chris
Old 04-11-2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by JasonL
Did you bleed the system every time you added coolant?

The next mystery is to figure out where the coolant is going, it doesn't just disappear. Check the water pump weep hole, all the hoses for pinhole leaks, cracked radiator side tanks, etc.
I'm very afraid of where it might be going cause i think i may have an idea.

when the engine was running one of the times i tried to fill it, it kept blowing the water out, there is no water in the oil but I am wondering if I dont have a blown headgasket. But I have not noticed any performance decrease.

Its been raining here since I posted this, well at least every time I go outside to work on the damn thing.

I'm going to go get a leakdown pressure tester and start checking the system.
That poor car, i dont think I have ever added coolant since I bought it 3 1/2 years ago.

thanks again
Old 04-11-2004, 09:36 PM

You mean coolant was bubbling out of the radiator when you filled it w/ the engine running? That's somewhat normal... as the air pockets move around and reach the radiator, they will bubble to the top and make a mess.

BTW water entering the cylinder will show up as white smoke out the tailpipes.

Hope that helps narrow it down.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:18 PM

nope car does'nt smoke at all.
And I have yet to see any wet spots other than oil on the pavment of my driveway.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:44 AM

The only sure-fire way to know is to pressure test the system. It sounds like it's sucking in air from somewhere.

Greg