LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 03:58 PM

Re: Help!!

Originally Posted by shoebox
Nope. Gotta have O2 sensor input for the computer if you want it to run right.
wow ive always drove a mustang till i got smart and on those there were deletes lol
Old 12-29-2016, 04:08 PM
Administrator

The GM PCM uses feedback from the O2 sensors, in closed loop, to trim the A/F ratio, and hold it at 14.7:1 for normal/part load driving. There is a complex system, using a grid of "cells", defined by RPM and engine load (MAP), for each bank of the engine. It will correct for vacuum leaks, low fuel pressure, dirty MAF sensor, etc..... anything that would alter the A/F ratio. The cats are designed to work with the PCM toggling the A/F ratio back and forth on either side of 14.7:1. And, it also keeps your gas mileage decent, prevents running rich and washing down the cylinder walls, running lean and causing knock (detonation).

You could delete the pre-cat O2 sensors, and run it in open loop, but you could have issues with fuel economy, emissions, and performance. "Sims" are generally only used in the OBD-2 cars (1996 and up) that have after-cat O2 sensors to monitor the cat performance. If you delete the cats, you either need sims for the after-cat sensors, or have the after cat sensors and codes tuned out of the PCM.

As noted above, there's a good chance your backfire is caused by the open header collectors, exposing the O2 sensors to air backwash. That causes the sensors to read lean, and the PCM dumps in extra fuel.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The GM PCM uses feedback from the O2 sensors, in closed loop, to trim the A/F ratio, and hold it at 14.7:1 for normal/part load driving. There is a complex system, using a grid of "cells", defined by RPM and engine load (MAP), for each bank of the engine. It will correct for vacuum leaks, low fuel pressure, dirty MAF sensor, etc..... anything that would alter the A/F ratio. The cats are designed to work with the PCM toggling the A/F ratio back and forth on either side of 14.7:1. And, it also keeps your gas mileage decent, prevents running rich and washing down the cylinder walls, running lean and causing knock (detonation).

You could delete the pre-cat O2 sensors, and run it in open loop, but you could have issues with fuel economy, emissions, and performance. "Sims" are generally only used in the OBD-2 cars (1996 and up) that have after-cat O2 sensors to monitor the cat performance. If you delete the cats, you either need sims for the after-cat sensors, or have the after cat sensors and codes tuned out of the PCM.

As noted above, there's a good chance your backfire is caused by the open header collectors, exposing the O2 sensors to air backwash. That causes the sensors to read lean, and the PCM dumps in extra fuel.
So i could put cats back in and put the o2 sensors back and then I'd probably just run straight pipe from the cats if i need to run the cats to make the car run right ill put those babies back on it, I don't have to worry about emmisions so cats will just help with noise lol
Old 12-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by DanPlaysZ28
So i could put cats back in and put the o2 sensors back and then I'd probably just run straight pipe from the cats if i need to run the cats to make the car run right ill put those babies back on it, I don't have to worry about emmisions so cats will just help with noise lol
Do you have more than one cat? Most 95 cars came with a single cat...I think it was California emissions that necessitated a second cat.

Look, the O2 sensors on the OBD1 cars, 93,94 and 95, have NOTHING to do with the catalytic converters. They have everything to do with engine management and must be connected whether or not there are cats installed. The car will run perfectly well with or without the cats (the OBD1 PCM doesn't even know they're there) as long as you move the exhaust exit away from the O2 sensors.

Does that make sense?
Old 12-30-2016, 08:12 PM

That is a great response, even I understand that. Great info to know !
Old 01-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
Do you have more than one cat? Most 95 cars came with a single cat...I think it was California emissions that necessitated a second cat.

Look, the O2 sensors on the OBD1 cars, 93,94 and 95, have NOTHING to do with the catalytic converters. They have everything to do with engine management and must be connected whether or not there are cats installed. The car will run perfectly well with or without the cats (the OBD1 PCM doesn't even know they're there) as long as you move the exhaust exit away from the O2 sensors.

Does that make sense?
Thank you for shedding that light, I'm trying to learn these cars so everything anyone can tell me and can back it up would be appreciated
Old 01-01-2017, 10:19 AM

When i start running my pipe to run it out the back, should I add the bungs for the o2 sensors to keep them in pipe
Old 01-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Are you saying your header collectors do NOT have O2 bungs? Your earlier post said an O2 sensor delete was in your future. Where are they located now?

The correct location is in the collectors. You want to keep the sensors as close as possible to the engine, in a location where they will see a mix of exhaust from all 4 cylinders in that bank.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:34 AM

and can back it up
What do you mean here? Please explain.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:14 PM

What do you mean here? Please explain.
I mean have proof that it does work like someone says like an experience, or reasoning why someone would say it works
Old 01-01-2017, 01:31 PM

I mean have proof that it does work like someone says like an experience, or reasoning why someone would say it works
You're asking for information with limited information to us, we give opinions and you want proof?

I'm done....

Last edited by bw_hunter; 01-01-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:02 PM

You're asking for information with limited information to us, we give opinions and you want proof?

I'm done....
I was just saying any true info or good opinions would be appreciated about anything on these cars not necessarily just the topic of this thread I don't know why you're getting salty that wasn't even focused toward you or anyone but sorry you're butt hurt
Old 01-01-2017, 02:08 PM

I guess proof was the wrong way to say it. I just want honest and helpful opinions to help me learn about the LT1 because this is my first one and everyone on this forum and this thread has helped me learn more than I could've on my own ever, I'm not here to upset people or make people mad I just want to learn about these cars, get help and give any advise I can from any of my personal experiences with my car so I humbly apologize if what I said offended anybody I just didn't say it the way it was meant
Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Administrator

I had the same reaction. We're trying to help you learn. I tried to give you detailed info on why you needed the pre-cat O2 sensors, but you appeared to ignore it because you either didn't understand me or didn't believe me. Not getting "salty". Just trying to explain why someone might simply not respond to requests for help in the future. There are way more people here looking for help than there are people qualified to give accurate, knowledgeable help.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I had the same reaction. We're trying to help you learn. I tried to give you detailed info on why you needed the pre-cat O2 sensors, but you appeared to ignore it because you either didn't understand me or didn't believe me. Not getting "salty". Just trying to explain why someone might simply not respond to requests for help in the future. There are way more people here looking for help than there are people qualified to give accurate, knowledgeable help.
I didn't ignore your advise I didn't respond because I've not had the chance to go back and do anything else to the car, I haven't even seen it for almost a week and I just can't understand why you all get so offensive over what I said like I understand that everyone here is trying to help me and it's very appreciated I'd never try to **** off anyone trying to help me, I am very sorry that I came across the wrong way I want all the help I can get, and I'll have more info tomorrow after I change the plug wires and do some digging on the o2 sensor situation, I just ask that you please give me your continued help, I need all I can get