LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

hellow forum, newbie with my first lt1/z28. please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:05 AM

hellow forum, newbie with my first lt1/z28. please help

hello got me a new camaro the other day, it's me 4th camaro but first 4th gen and first lt1. iv all ways had 3rd gen so i got this 93 and ... i love it anyway aside from a blown head gasket(i think) it's in pretty much good shape. i plan on having some fun with the motor and was about to buy the advanced induction head/cam package or the edlebrock performer package but thought i'd find a forum and ask some pros first. could anybody give me a run down on the lt1 motor and what my best options are for getting more hp. or perhaps a good build sheet. i'd like to stay with bolt on's with out having to pull the motor and avoid the machine shop. i went down that road with my last camaro and after about 5k i had an 11 second camaro but my pockets were empty and couldn't afford the gas lol any information would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
brian
Old 10-05-2008, 10:48 AM

My suggestion would be to make sure everything is up to par as far as maintenance goes. I would get that the head gasket fixed and pull the pan to make sure you do not have coolant in the oil.

After that is fixed replace the commons; spark plugs & wires, air filter, fuel filter if necessary, trans and rear end fluid, radiator flush, etc. Whenever I buy a used car I always make sure to get fresh fluids and parts in there for the piece of mind.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Do not even think about the Edelbrock Performer package. No bang for the buck.

The LT1 is no different than any other engine - get the air in (cold air intake) and get the exhaust out (long tube headers, 3" catback exhaust or duals). Heads and cam is generally considered a bit more than a "bolt on", but it sure shows large HP increases if you get the right setup. The Edelbrock package is not the right setup. The stock LT1 heads, and a knowledgable porter will net you up to 500HP at the flywheel.

After you've got the engine producing the HP, you have to address the drivetrain and the suspension. If you've got an automatic, higher stall converter and 3.73 gears will wake it up. Work on the rear suspension first - tubular LCA's, LCA relocation brackets and a tubular panhard rod. Remember also that if you have the M6 tranny, clutch dumps and sticky tires will likely grenade the 10-bolt rear (you're probably familiar with that from your 3rd Gen experience).