LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Headers, Headers, Headers - Come give us your opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 03:06 PM

Headers, Headers, Headers - Come give us your opinion!

Ok this subject is getting kinda worn out so ill try make this simple. Maybe this post will help peeps in the future decide on headers!

On a 95 z28 M6 single cat, I want to purchase new headers along with highflow cats and Y pipe. Allot of companies offer both single and dual cat header kits. I would like to go with dual cats becuase theres less restriction than 1 cat. My MAIN question here is, is it possible to install a dual cat header package (headers, y-pipe with headers welded on) on a single cat car? I dont see why it wouldnt be possible but alwasy best to check first. Secondly, besides looking cool, does CERAMIC COATING have any other advantages? I hear they last longer but is it worth the extra $$$? Thrid, im thinking about gettin MAC or Edlebrock headers, in all of your (the many readers out there) experiences with these, which do you think is the best buy? The MACs are cheaper but ill pay the extra $$$ if the edel's are better. Finally, if anyone knows of a header package that is better than the ones listed above please feel free to tell me about them.

Here are the other options
AS&M = Really good but seem quite expensive
Hooker LT's = Great headers but not enough ground clearence and too much $$$ when added with Muflex Y pipe
SLP = Too expensive, i dont like the fact that you have to buy an install kit, they just have to have more money dont they!

None of the above listed are out of the question, those are just my complaints.
If anyone begs a differ with the comments above feel free to post, i like to know all info about products before i purchase.

Finally, At the end of your post, Type either LONG TUBES or SHORTYS to show your preferrence
Old 02-08-2003, 03:22 PM

Some states require that the CAT not be removed from the stock location. Check your Florida emissions laws and see if they allow that. Otherwise, yes- you can convert a single CAT to a dual CAT. You'd be better off simply purchasing a high flow CAT or gutting the current one.

People here tend to favor MAC for shorties and Hooker for longtubes. FLP longtube headers have better clearance but are more expensive. Ceramic coating reduces the heat inyour engine bay, prevents rusting and extends the life of your headers.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:47 PM

gotta quick header quetion also

what all has to be modified to put LT's on a single cat car to hook it to a borla cat back. do i need to have a custom y pipe made. or should i just keep it simple and go wiht the shorties and a high flow y-pipe. thanks
Old 02-08-2003, 04:02 PM

Mac Headers
Old 02-08-2003, 04:26 PM

what all has to be modified to put LT's on a single cat car to hook it to a borla cat back. do i need to have a custom y pipe made. or should i just keep it simple and go wiht the shorties and a high flow y-pipe. thanks
Mufflex Makes a Y-PIPE for Hooker LT's but it cost around 250$, other than that you would have to have a Y-Pipe made. Personally I am going to go with either Edelbrock shorties with Y pipe or MAC headers and y pipe. From what i hear Long Tubes give you more HP after many mods (over 600Hp) but for a stock engine shorties will do better. LT's also have terrible ground clearance. Both are great headers but id go with shorties