LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Header install checklist...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 02:29 PM

Smile Header install checklist...

I have been browsing this board for a while and would like some final confirmation before I go put down a ton of money for a header setup.

I have a 1994 M6 Camaro Z28 that I bought this summer, it has 112,000 miles on it.

When I bought it, it made a noise the owner had described as coming from valvetrain work the previous owner had done. But after a couple months and some research I decided that was wrong and it was an exhaust leak....so I had it checked out by my mechanic and he confirmed I needed my Exhaust manifold gasket's replaced. So I thought I would take this opportunity to put on a set of headers as my car has all the other bolt-on's already in place.

My car is lowered slightly and I live in Galveston County Tx which requires I complete all the emissions standards stuff.

After research this is what I have so far on my list:

1. Headers:
Chevrolet Camaro 94-95 5.7 MAC (shorty hdr/Y pipe) TF94957 1 5/8x3" <- Directly from the Jet-Hot website.

2. PB Blaster...Autozone? To make removal of the bolts easier.

3. Fel-pro 1406 Gaskets...Autozone, Summit?

4. Do I need something to cut the exhaust off with if it doesn't disconnect from the cat-backs?

5. Breslin Split-Lock Header Bolts...buy from there website?

6. Anti-seize....autozone?

7. NGK Spark plugs

8. Spark Plug Wires from Elitesparkplugwires.com and some clips for relocation...not sure where to get these.

That's all I have for now. Any other comments/suggestions/recommendations are highly appreciated. Is there anything else I should look at replacing while I'm in there? Engine Mounts?

Thanks a bunch,

-Gabriel Terrel
Old 01-21-2006, 02:40 PM

Re: Header install checklist...

Breslin Split-Lock Header Bolts...buy from there website?
They are nice but reg header bolts work just fine too. but make shure you get the 1" ones. not the 3/4 ones steve
Old 01-21-2006, 02:42 PM

that looks like a good start gabriel. make sure your plugs arent too tall (accel) and that your boots will fit without rubbing. OTVC wires are an excellent choice, elitesparkplugs.com has them with the complete kits (Everything needed for installation/relocation)
their number is 1-561-214-4879
Old 01-21-2006, 02:45 PM

2. PB Blaster can be found at Autozone, Wal-Mart, just about anywhere
3. I bought the Fel-Pro 1406s from Summit, they ran under twenty bucks
4. I invested in an 80.00 reciprocating saw from Sears, it had the old exhaust off in a matter of minutes.
5. Breslins, I'm not sure about, I just used what the bolts the headers came with
6. Antiseize can be found at Autozone and just about anywhere else as well
7. NGK TR-55s is a good, cheap plug, can get them at Summit or Jegs
8. The elitesparkplug wires and wire looms will not do you much good seeing that you want to run shorties, they are more effective with long tube headers. I would just suggest a replacement set of wires such as Taylor, MSD, or just another set of Delcos.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:39 PM

i would use percy's dead soft aluminum gaskets instead.............get them from summit as well

only because if you have a bolt back out it wont burn up a gasket.

i have installed both on my car and like the percy ones the best
Old 01-21-2006, 07:02 PM

I shouldn't have any bolts backing out if I use the breslin's right? Any other pros to the percy aluminum gaskets?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by archangelus2
I shouldn't have any bolts backing out if I use the breslin's right? Any other pros to the percy aluminum gaskets?

IF, u ever have a bolt back out u can just torque it down and not have to get new gaskets. Plus because they are metal and a little stiff, they are much easier to work with than the felpros IMO

Plus when u get heads they can be ported
Old 01-21-2006, 07:31 PM

Good choice on the headers. I love mine and gained about 21 or 22rwhp with them. It was a very noticable difference. As far as the bolts go, use the ones they come with! They will be just fine. Also as far as gaskets, I know a lot of the guys here like the the aluminum gaskets, but I used cheapo Fel-Pro right off the shelf stock replacements, and mine sealed up just fine.

The trick to my installation was I when I got done installing them, I was so fed up with working on the car, I dropped it off at my local Pontiac/Buick dealership, requested that a mechanic road test it for a slight tick, and he came back and tightened the bolts down after heat cycling them. Was the best $60 or $70 I ever spent.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:15 AM

I second the Fel-pro 1406.
The percys aluminum are good but I have heard that bolts backing off once or twice can be expected, but they seal very well.