LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Header Advise Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 PM

Header Advise Needed?

Ok guys, don't lash out at me for this thread as I know it's been discussed over and over again and I think I've read about every thread on this forum and others about this topic. However, I wanted to address some questions I have and focus them in one thread with your opinions/personal experiences. Here goes:

I currently have JBA mids on my 383 and they have served me well for a long time and are very good headers, but I am constantly battling burned wires, very very poor plug access and leaking. I have addressed the leaking with Percy's and that is pretty much solved, and I have gone to a coil over setup and routed the wires over the VCs to keep them away from the primaries but over time they still have had issues and even with protective boots and wire wrap. I have toyed with the idea of going with long tubes as my motor would def. benefit from the larger primaries and better breathing as well as better plug access and more room for wires. Here are my questions/concerns:

Headers I have found would work - LPP (of course), PaceSetters, Hooker (maybe not with the flange y connector - ground clearance), Jet Hot's, and for MIDs the only one's I've seen that look good are the ASM's.

1) Ground clearance - I have the Eibach pro kit (I know its not the lowest, but it's still low) and don't wanna always drag.

2) Plug access

3) Straight install and minimal fitment issues - really like the LPP's but have seen all the issues with the kmember and primary 8 people are having. I have prothane motor mounts so this might help.

4) Wire boot clearance from the primary

5) I know it sounds wierd but I would like to have CATS in the headers or Y (NO egr or AIR - don't care about removing this stuff) as I do run rich with this cam and don't want to smell it even more.

6) I have a canton pan and would like to keep the oil level sensor and have good access to the filter - is this even possible with any LT out there?

With all this said, are LT's really the way to go or is there a good set of MIDS out there that breathe almost as good and will offer me all I want? I've been on here a long time and just want to compile a lot of input. Let me know what you think?

BTW - Probably won't be doing this for atleast 6 months as I gotta talk the wife into it and save up the $$$.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:48 PM

I recommend a set of Kooks 1-3/4 - 1-7/8 stepped long tubes. I have Jet-hot LTs on my car and honestly they suck. Plug access is great, but after 3 years of driving with them they developed leaks around the air provisions right near the cylinder head on both sides. Not to mention the Jet-hot coating doesn't last, I know they would recoat them if I took them off and sent them out but thats a big job.

Kooks will be the set I'm ordering when I toss these jet-hots in the trash.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by hsyr
I recommend a set of Kooks 1-3/4 - 1-7/8 stepped long tubes. I have Jet-hot LTs on my car and honestly they suck. Plug access is great, but after 3 years of driving with them they developed leaks around the air provisions right near the cylinder head on both sides. Not to mention the Jet-hot coating doesn't last, I know they would recoat them if I took them off and sent them out but thats a big job.

Kooks will be the set I'm ordering when I toss these jet-hots in the trash.
Thanks, from everything I have read I think I am going to have to steer clear of the Kooks (unfortunately) as they have the flanged collector. I've seen pics of these installed and with that flange hanging down, there is now way my car will clear most speedbumps or driveways without some scraping. The slip connect is not the best, but might have to be my option.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:03 PM

Kooks do NOT have a flange,Hookers do. The only downside to Kooks(Which I have) is that you need to run a smaller oil filter. Really not a big deal,tho. My car is lowered an 1.25",and I dont have a problem. I highly recommend them. Stainless is the only way to go. IMHO.

Last edited by joeSS97; 06-22-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Thanks, from everything I have read I think I am going to have to steer clear of the Kooks (unfortunately) as they have the flanged collector. I've seen pics of these installed and with that flange hanging down, there is now way my car will clear most speedbumps or driveways without some scraping. The slip connect is not the best, but might have to be my option.
Yea I was just looking on a site that sells them with slip fit for $1030 and you can get the 3" y pipe that fits them for an additional $300 all slip fit. I'd post the link but they aren't a supporting vendor. I hear kooks have the best ground clearance.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by hsyr
Yea I was just looking on a site that sells them with slip fit for $1030 and you can get the 3" y pipe that fits them for an additional $300 all slip fit. I'd post the link but they aren't a supporting vendor. I hear kooks have the best ground clearance.
DAMNNNN -Over $1K for a new header setup? Ouch!!!!! They really are proud of those Kooks. Any more advise guys? Still toying around with the Mac Mid idea as they might work just as well. How do they flow?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator

The AS&M's will support big HP..... definitely a lot more than the JBA's. I've had both, although my AS&M's were modified by someone else to eliminate the Y-pipe. The JBA's were like sticking a potato in the exhaust pipe, even with my stock displacement, mild bolt-on setup.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The AS&M's will support big HP..... definitely a lot more than the JBA's. I've had both, although my AS&M's were modified by someone else to eliminate the Y-pipe. The JBA's were like sticking a potato in the exhaust pipe, even with my stock displacement, mild bolt-on setup.
Thanks Injuneer, what do you think of the MAC's and as to the AS&M's how was your plug access and some of the other points in my list?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Don't know anything about the MAC's.

I have no problem with plug access - and I used to change plugs quite depending on whether I was running NA or different size nitrous shots. But as noted, my AS&M's were modified to eliminate the Y-pipe, although I don't know if that affects plug access.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/Dyno.jpg

As weird as it seems, that turn at the end of the header collector does not seem to affect HP. The headers came off of George Baxter's 9.04-second 30th SS convertible.

When my car was lowered 1.8" in the front, everything under the car dragged on the ground, including the mufflers/cats (depending which I had bolted in place). You can see how low the Borla XR-1 hangs on the driver's side.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP02954a.jpg

With the original Y-pipe, since replace with duals.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo...in/TH40001.jpg

Don't know about the install. They were installed when the stroker was being installed in the car.

Plug wires aren't a problem at all, but I don't use the Opti.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/Engine/CoilsR.jpg

Last edited by Injuneer; 06-23-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Damn Injuneer that is a nice looking setup. If you could do it all over again would you stick with the Mids or go with a traditional longtube like the LPPS. That being said what do you think of them and with my mods would you recc going this route? My cam is pretty stout and could use the extra room to exhale as I am running a custom cam from Lloyd 23* - 23* with a 108LSA and 570ish lift.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

I'm pushing 800HP through them. Baxter was pushing a bit more than that. He dyno'd them against a set of Hooker LT's, and the AS&M's were 50HP better. But that's on an engine that was designed to operate from 5,000-8,000RPM. Later when he pushed it over 1,000HP, the Hookers made more HP..... cannot think of any logical reason for that... but I picked up his AS&M's for $175.

I actually bought a set of Hooker LT's about 5 or 6 years ago, had Steve Spohn weld on the O2 bungs and the EGT bung, then I was going to have them cera-metallic coated. But then I ended up in a job that has me working 60 hours/5.5 days a week, and my available time for playing with my toys has been severely limited, so I never finished the Hookers. Unfortunately, the car mostly collects dust in the garage, except for an occasional spin around the block in the dark of night.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I'm pushing 800HP through them. Baxter was pushing a bit more than that. He dyno'd them against a set of Hooker LT's, and the AS&M's were 50HP better. But that's on an engine that was designed to operate from 5,000-8,000RPM. Later when he pushed it over 1,000HP, the Hookers made more HP..... cannot think of any logical reason for that... but I picked up his AS&M's for $175.

I actually bought a set of Hooker LT's about 5 or 6 years ago, had Steve Spohn weld on the O2 bungs and the EGT bung, then I was going to have them cera-metallic coated. But then I ended up in a job that has me working 60 hours/5.5 days a week, and my available time for playing with my toys has been severely limited, so I never finished the Hookers. Unfortunately, the car mostly collects dust in the garage, except for an occasional spin around the block in the dark of night.
Yeah, HP for me is nice but not that big a deal as my motor is just fun and not for a drag car. I mainly need to get better plug access and keep these damn wires from burning and that is why I am looking at this change. The ASM's have some really good feedback and I've sent their sales dept some questions as well. Probably won't be doing this change until later this year as I need to get the money together and get approval from the boss - aka wife!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Headers

Hi, I have pacesetter long tube headers replaced
a set of hookers. I have a procharged 94 they fit
better than any headers i have owned plus thick
D shaped ports and heavier than normal tubing.
I have yet to dent them and I have low ground
too. 1 3/4 x 3" the best part summit pn70-2239
are 292.96 painted ceramic extra. I agree a grand
is exessive unless it is a race car. Oh I have yeto burn a wire.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 PM

Check for fitment issues with the AS&M's and the Canton pan. I remember reading something about clearance issues with the Y pipe.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 PM

Dave,

Lesser known header are the TPIS Long tubes, I've read good stuff on the plug access and ground clearance. They have a new design coming out that's suppose to have better steering knuckle clearance, that was an issue some people ran in to in the past with them on the older design. I'm actually looking to buy a set of them to replace my Hookers, they are a slip fit so no 3 bolt flange, I know a lot of guys dislike the 3 bolt flanges and prefer slip fit. Arizona Speed and Marines are great headers for ground clearance, how ever from what I've read I don't believe the plug access was all that great on them. Hopefully I can have them on the car this fall, I didn't lower my TA because though the 4x4 look maybe be a little dated, I enjoy conquering speed bumps.

Last edited by neil350; 06-24-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Header Advise Needed?