LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Header Advise Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by neil350
Dave,

Lesser known header are the TPIS Long tubes, I've read good stuff on the plug access and ground clearance. They have a new design coming out that's suppose to have better steering knuckle clearance, that was an issue some people ran in to in the past with them on the older design. I'm actually looking to buy a set of them to replace my Hookers, they are a slip fit so no 3 bolt flange, I know a lot of guys dislike the 3 bolt flanges and prefer slip fit. Arizona Speed and Marines are great headers for ground clearance, how ever from what I've read I don't believe the plug access was all that great on them. Hopefully I can have them on the car this fall, I didn't lower my TA because though the 4x4 look maybe be a little dated, I enjoy conquering speed bumps.
Awesome Neil, I went to their sight and not too much info on them. Are the set on their sight the new one's or old one's and do you know where I can get more info on them - stainless/coated, primary size, stepped, etc... Also will they offer a ypipe as well that you know of?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 PM

When I spoke to Jim at TPIS, they are mild steel but he said come coated similar to a Jet Hot coating, believe the picture on the website is the old design. The #1 primary has been changed for better steering knuckle and blower fitment. They do have a Y pipe, $190 and it's aluminized. Far as primary, didn't ask but I believe 1 3/4, not stepped. Best bet is to call TPIS though.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
I run pacesetters and pretty much everything about them is great.

They tuck up nicely. I almost have better ground clearance with my headers and true duals than I did with the stock exhaust.

Plug and plug wire access/routing is easy.

After 3 years, still not one spec of rust (I did have them jet hot coated - not ceramic coated though).

The only downside is there was a slight build quality issue with mine in that I did have to slightly dent one of the primaries to get access to one of the driver's side header bolts (second from the front). My friend had a set and she didn't have to do that, so like I said just a build quality issue specific to my headers.

As you can see if you bottom these out you're going to bottom out your transmission. They are slip fit, but the guy who fabbed up my true duals put flanges on (so I can drop the mid section in one piece easily).

Damn, they do tuck up nicely and even with the flange welded there. Can you post any pics of them hanging down with the car on the ground? Also, are you lowered?