LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Have they come out with anything new to remove/replace our crank hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 12:31 PM

Have they come out with anything new to remove/replace our crank hubs?

Last I remember, we had to makeshift pull them and whack them back on with a hammer. Anything new out there to replace this method? I really dont want to whack it back on "again".

How about a makeshift tool?? I love McGivering stuff, as long as its functional (like the toilet paper/pilot bushing trick, and its cheap!!
Old 06-24-2003, 12:40 PM

3 toe pully pullers, and an impact wrench
Old 06-24-2003, 03:39 PM

I'm in the process of making a installation tool now. You can use a standard three jaw puller to take it off. DO NOT hammer it on!! All u are doing is driving the crank into the rear bearing,not good. I've seen a member on here post a pic of one he had made, cant remember his name, but I'm making it just like his. Take a flat peice of 1/4 to 1/2 steel, cut it to where it overhangs the hub by bout an inch or so. Drill a hole in the center, try to be dead center if possible. Get some all thread, which u will have a hard time finding, 1/2 fine thread (or is it 7/16, i'll have to check on that, forgot already ) cut the all-thread to where it will bottom out in the crank and stick out past the flat piece of steel u cut about 2-3 inches. Dont forget to taper the end of the all thread or it WILL get stuck in the crank, this is a must do!! thread the all thread in, slide the hub on, slide the steel piece on, and get about 2-3 large washers and a grade 8 nut. Now all u got to do is tighten it up, and your done. I should be able to get a pic up this week maybe, maybe whoever I copied this from will chime in and let us see the pic. Its pretty simple really, hope I explained it well enough You can use a dremel to make a cut in the end of the all-thread (make it look like the end of a straight-slot screw, and use a flat-head screwdriver to get the all thread out. Put some oil on all the threads also!!
Old 06-24-2003, 04:07 PM

No, actually sounds more simple than I expected. Just like your average installer!! I just didnt know what the thread size is or where there is a place to get a "good" hard piece of all thread. Thanks.

P.S. Last time I installed the hub, I tapped it on lightly(?) till I had enough thread to use the original bolt.