LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 02:26 PM

is this a good deal?

its a 1994 chevy camaro z28, t-tops and every option except leather, black on black with 53,000 miles the dealer wants 6500$. i was wondering if this a decent price for that car? i am going to see it tonight but susposedly its in awesome shape.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:31 PM

Sounds like a very good deal to me. Depending on the condition of the car. Milage is pretty low for a 94. Good year too.
Watch out for a salvage title though.

Good luck Mike
Old 11-19-2003, 02:36 PM

Sounds pretty good.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:41 PM

I'm afraid the obvious answer is in your question.

Is the car being sold by a new car dealership or a gypo?

No gypo is going to give you a good deal.....

Is the car a tradein? Is it a one-owner? Can you talk to the former owner?

The bottom line, however, is the actual conditon of the car. The other things I mentioned are indicators of what to expect in terms of the condition of the car.

Wouldn't take you too long to see what the going price for the average car is. Don't go by what the asking price is, especially in a used car lot.

If the car is being sold by a "dealership" and it is in fact a "good one" you probably won't get much of a break on the price, however you still need to try. Once you determine that it is what they represent it to be, then consider that it is better to pay more for a good car than less for a $....y car.

One more thing. If through a dealer, you might be able to have them fix a few minor things before you lay out the cash (since they should have the mechs and the parts to do them) whereas a gypo or used car outfit won't fix anything.

A gypo won't even have the battery charged until a prospective buyer can't get it started.JMHO
Old 11-19-2003, 02:41 PM

Sounds good as long as the vehicle is in good condition. Check for the usual problems associated with an LT1, like the intake manifold leak. If he says it has the Corvette racing motor in it or informs you that they don't make Camaros anymore (for a selling point) break his nose. While I was looking around last week--both these items were mentioned to me as selling points.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Bastardcat
Sounds good as long as the vehicle is in good condition. Check for the usual problems associated with an LT1, like the intake manifold leak. If he says it has the Corvette racing motor in it or informs you that they don't make Camaros anymore (for a selling point) break his nose. While I was looking around last week--both these items were mentioned to me as selling points.
Lol...that is so true. I never heard the corvette racing one. But when i was looking for my car i had 1 dealership say that they don't make Camaro's anymore. And the other was from a private dealer. All i could do is look at them like they were retarded, and tell them they probably will make one. Now i could say for sure that they are making one.

But pardonme it looks like a good deal. Just make sure you look over the car really good.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:53 PM

A couple of things to bear in mind:

If the car was a one owner and in good condition, unless, the former owner was naive, they would have sold it privately rather than trade it in since you will most assurely get screwed when you trade it in.

Trade-ins, esp. older cars are usually beat to hell and the dealerships auction them off to gypos who will never stand behind their products.

Again, however, is the most crucial part i.e., in what condition is the car? DO NOT hesitate to have the car checked out by a reputable mechanic, even if everything appears ok.

Brakes, clutch, AC, etc. can cost a bundle and you may not catch this stuff on your own. Most gypos or less-than-honest dealers will balk at allowing you to have the car inspected. If that's the case "run" do not "walk".

On the positive side, there are "good" used F-Bodies out there, so patience is the operative word.JMHO
Old 11-19-2003, 03:10 PM

Oh. One last piece of advice. Never buy a car at nite. You mentioned that you were going to look at it "tonight"

Cars always look better at night, esp. black cars. At night you feel pressed for time and may make a big mistake by feeling that if you don't get it now that someone else will.

Make a list of ALL the "visable" things that you are going to look for and check them off one at a time.

Don't go by the cleanliness of the engine. Spraying on a can of Gunk/degreaser can make an engine "look" great but has little bearing on the actual condition. Checking things like engine noise, serp belt condtion, battery type and age, etc. These things you can check yourself.

So if you really want to check this car out tonight, do a preliminary check out. If it passes muster, then arrange to have it inspected tomorrow. If you believe intitally that the car is what you want, give'em $50.00 to hold it for 24 hours (in writing) if they don't want to take it off the market so that you can have it checked out.

Bottom line: Don't let your emotions interfer with your common sense. Been there, done that. And I'm sure that there are many on this board who will agree.

Good luck.