LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

a good cam for me

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 02:08 PM

a good cam for me

im planning a full exhaust here in a few months when it gets warmer out and this is what im getting:
MAC 1 5/8" shorty headers
off-road pipe
hooker catback and i believe a cutout also

and also a CAI and a few other small mods

after all that i was wondering what would be a good cam. very good on the street and good power.

i will eventually be doing more than just a cam like heads and possibly a stroker but for a while i would probably just be using stock heads. i would guess that with the cam i would get some 1.6 rr's. anything else i should do with the cam install?

is there any i should stay away from?
i dont know much about cams and i hear so many people talk about so many different ones that i just dont know.

no emissions where i am either

thanks for any help
Old 02-01-2003, 03:13 PM

if you get 1.6s AND a cam with stock heads, youll not only be going overkill, but you might end up with some piston slap. at least thats what i was told. i dont know all of the exact clearances though.

regardless of that, your not going to be acomplishing anything with both of those on stock heads. if your not doing heads now, i would either do 1.6 OR cam. youll accomplish mainly the same thing.

your in the same predicament as me. i will be doing heads in a few months, but for the time being, i want some more top end power. im not messing with a cam yet, because its more work than its worth at the moment. ill do 1.6s now, and save the cam for when i pull the heads. remember, the RRs will basically do the same thing as the cam, just without the dur. but the rockers are MUCH MUCH easier to do.

jon
Old 02-01-2003, 03:47 PM

ok cool thanks for the info. i just have read of all kinds of people putting a cam on stock heads and seeing pretty massive gains. thats mainly why i was wondering since im pretty new to all of this.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:41 PM

COMNBYU: You are dreaming if you don't think that a cam AND rockers are a good idea.

Yes, they would be better optimized if the heads and intake were matched and messaged but even in stock form there is alot of gains to be had.

SPEEDCRAZY: If you dont have the cash to get the heads and intake done for awhile, by all means go ahead and do a cam AND rocker upgrade. A good choice for you could be the hot-cam kit (affordable & somewhat mild), the XE 224/230xl (great street cam, lots of tq. and midrange hp.) or even the cc306 (rather extreme but people are seeing good results), any way you go, good luck.

Adam