LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fyi

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 02:46 PM

Fyi

I just found a new book by John Ligenfelter, called "Modifying small block chevy engines" It was made in 1996, so it's kinda cool because he refers to the LT1 is the "new small block." Very good reading. It's $20 from books a million. They had to order mine.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Amazon sells it for $13.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Old 06-25-2004, 03:17 PM

Save you $$. This site is the only thing you will ever need to modify the LT1.JMHO

Too many such books reference brand named things, like headers, cams, tbs, etc., while this site tells you what works and what doesn't, based on real world experience.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by BUBBA
Save you $$. This site is the only thing you will ever need to modify the LT1.JMHO

Too many such books reference brand named things, like headers, cams, tbs, etc., while this site tells you what works and what doesn't, based on real world experience.
i agree, there is damn near endless info when using the search feature!
and if it cant be found during a search, there are numerous "GURUS" on here that know there way around these motors
i havent really seen too many questions, no matter how technical, that go un answered or atleast discussed in some way
Old 06-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Banned

Books are a good way to obtain a deeper understanding.

EVERYONE should have Smokey's book.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by LameRandomName
Books are a good way to obtain a deeper understanding.

EVERYONE should have Smokey's book.
no doubt, but the LT1 in specific this site is 2nd to none
now internal combustion engines in general (anything really) books are the way to go
Old 06-25-2004, 04:53 PM
Administrator

The Lingenfelter book is worth it, IMHO. I find that there are a lot of useful references.... in fact I've even listed some of them on my website:

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/Read.htm

I would also suggest that you take anything you read on a bulletin board like this with a bit of skepticism. Not all the stuff posted here is correct, and on many subjects you will get conflicting info. Take a simple thing like the IAT resistor - Some people claim it cost them 10HP, others will tell you they picked up 3/10th's.

PS: Free shipping on Amazon, if you order $25 and accept supposedly slower shipping (it still gets there in 2 days.)
Old 06-25-2004, 04:54 PM

I can't believe that some of you guys are steering someone away from a John Lingenfelter book. That man has more experience in building motors that run fast and stay together than almost anyone I can think of, and should have earned the respect of everyone on this board. He built and tuned more engines for both street cars and race cars than anyone on this board, and was one hell of a nice guy. He was a pioneer when it came to making power with the LT-1. I agree that this site is a great one for all sorts of technical advice, but the internet can be a dangerous place, too.

I know some are gonna say I'm biased..and I am...been running one of his motors for 10 years without a hiccup. Daily driving, long trips, and 11 second trips...I wouldn't snub my nose at someone who wants to read a book by John and maybe learn something...That's my .02
--Alan
Old 06-25-2004, 05:16 PM

Nobody is slamming John L or Smokey or anybody else. Just saying that if you use this site in a reasonable manner, you are going to learn a lot of what is good and not so good about modding the Lt1.

If Injuneer or someone else was to selectively take ALL of the information contained in the site over the years, and publish a book. Now that's what I'm talkin' bout.

I'd buy it.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by BUBBA
Nobody is slamming John L or Smokey or anybody else. Just saying that if you use this site in a reasonable manner, you are going to learn a lot of what is good and not so good about modding the Lt1.

If Injuneer or someone else was to selectively take ALL of the information contained in the site over the years, and publish a book. Now that's what I'm talkin' bout.

I'd buy it.
exactly what i'm saying
if you selectively use the site and choose wisely who you listen too and take advice from, there quite a few people (they know who they are) that know there **** about engines that frequent this site and are full of pertenent information! its just a matter of getting it out of them
Old 06-26-2004, 08:31 AM

I brought that book years ago. When i first got my hawk. Its a great read about the lt1. I dont even know where its at right now. I should go look for it.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:53 AM

It's a good book. There is a lot of information here, but most of the people posting are somewhat behind John Lingenfelter in their knowledge of engines in general and the SBC in particular! A lot of what you see posted here is just plain wrong, but more is kind of off the point and subject to misinterpretation, even though it may be technically correct. Much of it is from people with little practical experience, they are just repeating stuff they picked up, usually from others on the Internet. If someone credibly posts their own experiences, that can be very valuable. If they just parrot other sources I wouldn't pay much attention (unless they are citing them to back up a contoversial point).

OTOH, there are some people who post here who DO have a wealth of real world experience. Those are the people you should be listening to.

Rich Krause
Old 06-28-2004, 08:16 PM

I first bought the John Lingenfelter book back in '98 after reading about his work with the Corvettes. I learned A LOT from it. I read it and referenced it to the point that the pages fell out and I had to go out and buy a second copy and I still reference it from time to time. The man knew his stuff.