LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fuel Pressure Regulator Symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 11:20 AM

Fuel Pressure Regulator Symptoms

What are some of FPR defective symptoms? Are they similar to leaky injectors? There is gas and oil and I keep fouling out plugs.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:25 AM

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator Symptoms

Pull the vacuum line off your FPR and see if gas comes out. If the FPR's internal diaphram is ripped, it can leak gas and cause you to run rich.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:40 PM

What are signs of a bad FPR? How different are they then injectors? I know I already asked but I am not home and won't be able to do anything til Mon/Tues so I want to get as prepared as possible.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:44 PM

What are some tests I can do to check injectors or the FPR?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:53 PM

I just went through this so maybe i can shed some light on this for you..

Before changing my FPR i experienced hard starts, occasional fuel behind the butterflies, horrible gas mileage, oil that spells like 93 octane

When i pulled the hose off of my FPR fuel poured out.. And during the replacement i went to relieve pressure on the fuel rail and not a drop came out. The rail was totally empty.. the only gas that came out spilled from the regulator itself.

Although there are many similiar symptoms for leaky injectors and the FPR its best to get your hands dirty. Start by popping the hose off of the end of the FPK and check for wet hose or gas spilling out If thats dry then unbolt your fuel rails and pop your injectors out of their bosses and pressure (prime) the system.. if you see fuel dripping then bam.. leaky injectors.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:48 PM

Pulled off the hose going from the FPR to the Intake... no gas... bone dry. So even though the injectors passed the test where you just unbolt them and just prime the rail to check for leakage... I am sending them to Precision Turbo anyway.

I am going to changing my Spark Plugs this week too so when they get back I can get at least drive the car.

What do you guys think I should do if the Pressure still bleeds off from the line as soon as the car turns off?
Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
What are some of FPR defective symptoms? Are they similar to leaky injectors? There is gas and oil and I keep fouling out plugs.

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
What do you guys think I should do if the Pressure still bleeds off from the line as soon as the car turns off?
Please explain the sentence "There is gas and oil and I keep fouling out plugs."

Does that mean you have gas IN the oil? If so, you have 3 clear choices for the cause.

As far as the second sentence, there is one item that causes bleed off most often, that is the pump check ball stuck. Since I don't see any where on any of your websites that you have an aftermarket fuel system, I would first suspect the fuel pump. Unless that is you have fuel in the oil. Then your choices are clear that it's not the pump.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:03 PM

Yes.. i'm sorry... I have gas in my oil. They are now mixed in the oil system.

I do have aftermarket fuel parts. 37lbs Delphi Injectors and a Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:17 PM

Have you put a fuel guage on your fuel rail to see how fast the fuel is bleeding down? If you have a new fuel pump and your injectors arent leakings.. its almost gotta be the regulator.. are you sure you pulled the correct hose?

If you want to test it.. try cranking the car over a few time (presuming it doesnt start up right away) --THEN pull the hose of the regulator.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by dubbsix
If you want to test it.. try cranking the car over a few time (presuming it doesnt start up right away) --THEN pull the hose of the regulator.
To keep it from starting just pull the ignition fuse.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:56 PM

How many hoses are there that go from the side of the intake to the FPR?

It bleeds down very fast. The hose is bone dry...
Old 02-23-2006, 05:40 AM

To test the FPR for a ruptured diaphragm simply apply a vacuum manually to the FPR. I use a Mity Vac brake bleeder. There are more crude methods as well.

Here's the FPR vac line
http://shbox.com/1/fp_reg.jpg

Let's not forget that you may have multiple problems. A dead cylinder and a bad check ball in the pump could give you the same symptoms.

Why don't you vacuum test the FPR. While you're waiting for the injectors to come back also test the holding ability of the fuel pump. Pull the feed line off the rail and momentarily prime the pump. Turn the pump off and cap the fuel line off with a stopper. Now give it about an hour and (with protection) slowly remove the plug from the fuel line.

Now all you have to do is wait for the injectors to get back and then test for a dead cylinder.

Last edited by Guest47904; 02-23-2006 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:20 AM

My FPR doesn't look like that, but I have an adjustable FPR.

Mine looks different... where the vacuum line is plugging into this one, I have a threaded piece for the adjustment (So my mechanic tells me) and my vacuum line plugs in on the top.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:10 AM

If you're using an Aeromotive LT1 regulator, then it probably is bad. Their normal external regulators are great, but their LT1 design sucks.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:27 AM

edited to prevent the spread of misinformation on
the internet

Last edited by RedLT4Mike; 03-02-2006 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Regulator Symptoms