LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fuel Line Rupture IMPORTANT

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 04:50 PM

Fuel Line Rupture IMPORTANT

I went to get my brakes worked on and get a new brake line that had been ruptured. The man fixing it said the current y-pipe yielding two cat's is conflicting with the brake line and fuel line. he said the cat on the left is about a quarter of an inch from my fuel line, and the same cat is most likely the reason my brake line broke. he said if i were to bottom out and rupture that fuel line, with my cat being at 400 degrees according to him, it would explode. he calls my current exhaust "illegal" although i think he is insane because millions of people have similar setups.

the next step would be to rip out my current exhaust in exchange for true duals so i could get the cats further down the pipe than them being unmoveable on the Y pipe. Should i just go with glasspacks? how could i get a true dual setup? i mean, i know my current muffler is single intake dual outlet, do they make dual intake mufflers? i am going to install some dual cutouts or at least had already bought them (not installed) and so sound isnt an issue because i can always open those. im thinking possibly a dual intake muffler thats pretty open sounding, but bearable, then have dual cutouts. any ideas?

Last edited by RyanS_Z28; 01-19-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:42 PM

get a new guy, cause he sounds like a tool. Unless your fuel lines have been moved from the stock location, you are not going to "bottom out and rupture them"

Do you have some aftermarket exhaust on the car? I cant see why it would be 1/4" from your fuel lines. the exhaust is routed on the passenger side of the car, and the fuel lines are on the drivers side.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:43 PM

thats the issue, its hooker long tubes with a Y pipe and dual cats. the cat on the driver side he says is dangerously close, thats why i think i need dual pipes so i can move the cat further down the pipe location and keep it away from those lines
Old 01-19-2004, 05:49 PM

Exhaust Location

The location of the stock catalytic is on the side opposite
the fuel and brake lines. These lines run along the drivers
side of the car. On the dual cat cars it should be about the
same. I just spent two days under my car and there is no
way the cats would conflict with the fuel lines.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:51 PM

Is it possible to shield the fuel line? Line two metal shields with a piece of that Heat shield material sandwiched in between? I know its not the best idea though but I was thinking for the time being while you get all the parts you need and move that catalitic converter away from the fuel lines?

Marvin
Old 01-19-2004, 05:52 PM

you arent listening. this is not stock. there are hooker super competition long tube headers and a y pipe that has TWO cats on it. one is on the passenger side, one is on the driver side. so basically the cat on the left is the only one worth mentioning.

lets drop that topic all together. what i need is some options for dual exhaust. preferably one that includes a muffler at the end, that way i can dual cutout whenever i want
Old 01-19-2004, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by MentalCaseOne
Is it possible to shield the fuel line?
well he said that the cats get up to 400 degrees so putting a medal plate there would just heat up also, causing the same problem. (only a quarter inch between the cat and the fuel line) he claims a bump to the cat would possibly push the brake line and the fuel lines and pinch them and basically break them. so i think the cat needs to be removed all together
Old 01-19-2004, 06:42 PM

I'll send you some pics. search the third gen forum here. seen some pics of what you asked about. two pipes over the pass. side stock location then into one muffler. then TOTL. also you can do two small mufflers after the axle, but it looks funky IMO. I have duals on my Iroc w/bullets and dumps. but they are kinda loud. def. not a daily driver setup unless your super hardcore. no need for cutouts w/these. you can do normal muff.s into dumps, which does cut down the noise considerably ( and really sounds great) but the down side is "clearancing" the floor pan under the rear seat area. there is alot of unused space under the rear cushions, so you just punch it up about 1.5"s or so and there's plenty of space like that. here's a link to my duals w/cheap turbo muff.s.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iro...ss86/my_photos

these were way too quiet believe it or not. so I went to the other extreme. I think flo's or maybe magna flows would be a great middle ground. BTW, the floor pans on third gens and 4 gens are almost the same frmo the seats back. so it will be exactly the same. pic 10 shows it best. I'll send you some other pics I have that are much nicer then my car.

chris
Old 01-19-2004, 06:52 PM

thanks those are some good thoughts. are those quote "bullet mufflers" actually small mufflers or are they basically glasspacks? i dont want two big *** mufflers in the back of my car, maybe another option would be to get sidepipes :-P although i have no idea what that would look like on a camaro but would be far enough from the lines i think.

custom tips that look like Mustang Roushe tips? anyone? i think it would be tight!
Old 01-19-2004, 07:01 PM

they look identical to glass packs, wide open through them w/sound deadening mat. on the outside through perforated holes. but they sound very muscular. not like glass pacs that sound tinny. bullets are very deep. I act. love the sound, but I drive the car alot, and for instance when I went for drives looking at houses last summer, it gets kinda annoying. but then I wouldnt drive it for a couple weeks and Id love it again. I believe the magnaflow mufflers are smaller then the muff.s in my pics of my Iroc you saw. did you get my emails? sent three of them.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:06 PM

yea i got all three. i really like that setup with the x pipe and dumps but i think id like to keep my current tips because they look cool. it looks like a showroom car with tips, looks like a race car with dumps. i found a picture i saved of this guys exhaust. now, im confused why i have dual cats on my car and most people with catbacks dont. they must have something different than me to pass emmisions. ive got that spintech muffler which may be considered one of their race mufflers. i thought maybe a new y pipe without cats this time, install custom cutouts that point to the sides, giving a deep roar to anyone at a light next to me.

that that i condone street racing :-p but its cool. if i really could convince my dad id go with a corsa or GMMG catback system and not worry about cats at all, but i dont think he'd like the resulting bill for something like that, and i am unemployed college kid