Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:23 AM

fuel issues

it's a 95, just died out at a light and would not start up
have spark, and can hear fp when ign is on, stumbles like
it wants to start but doesn't, unable to check f press. until I
can get a new gauge but did jump the fp and again stumbles
but no start, I will get a pressure reading this wknd but if the
fp is good shouldn't the car start when jumped?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:11 AM

Did it start after the engine cooled down?

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Re: fuel issues

No start could be a number of issues. I had a problem alot like this 5 years ago, turned out that my coil wire to the optispark was frayed. Double check all the wires just in case. If your set on its a fuel issue, FP is always a must on these cars. Could also be a clogged fuel filter, which would also show a drop in fuel pressure. Lastly, i agree with Chet1185 with allowing the engine to cool. Heat brings on all types of issues. For starters, the fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel itself. If you were low on gas at all, that tends to burn out or freeze fuel pumps. The optispark also is pretty susceptible to heat. Letting it cool down then try out may be what you need. Definitely get a FP guage on that enegine and let us know (Priming pressure and post priming pressure).

I should answer your question too i guess. If you "jump" the fuel pump should the car start? Technically yes, as long as your fuel line isnt clogged/leaking, compression is good, valves seal, exhaust isnt restricted, spark is strong, etc... Kind of have to take one item at a time. Dont spend too much time on the fuel system, some not start/stumbling problems can be as simple as a loose vacuum hose.

Last edited by Z28Freak86; 04-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Have you scanned it? Problems with the Opti cam position sensor and the IC Module will cause the PCM to shut down the engine.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the responses, the batt is done for won't hold a charge so no pressure test until I can splurge on a yellow top opt. figure why not find out what all the hype is about on those. Did pull the vac line on the fp reg and no tell tale signs of problems there. One thing i'd add is that when I did jump the fp on startup the engine acted like it was catching moreso then when the fp was not jumped if that makes any sense.

Chet - rolled the car into a parking lot and went home for about an hr, came back but still not start, ended up towing it home, only about a half mile

Z - i fill up all my cars when they reach half tank or just below for that reason, this one's got 132 on the clock and if the fp is original then i'd say i got great service out of it. Like u suggest I would not rule out anything electrical but I must admit I've never had an opti issue, a bad coil and a bad but functioning icm problem is all i can report, on the other hand i've had the strangest fuel issues occur which may be clouding my judgement at this time

Ske - no, 95 is the oddball setup and i need to get ahold of an obd 1 jack and bridge to obd II as noted on shoebox' site, i imagine it can come from any obd1 gm car right? i will hit the py this weeknd

Last edited by 2manyToyz; 04-11-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2manyToyz
Ske - no, 95 is the oddball setup and i need to get ahold of an obd 1 jack and bridge to obd II as noted on shoebox' site, i imagine it can come from any obd1 gm car right? i will hit the py this weeknd
I know. All you need is an OBD-I scanner, which will have a 12-pin OBD-I cable. Add two short pieces of jumper wire, per Rob/Shoebox's photo. No need to get an parts off another car.

http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg
Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 PM

Pain in the butt that computer. I have a 95 as well and feel almost cursed with that obd 1 computer obd 2 pin combo. My original fuel pump went out (rather suddenly) at about the same mileage as your car so definitely wouldnt rule that out. All i can say is as soon as you get a FP reading and can confirm that fuel pump is bad, i support the access door mod to replace these f-body fuel pumps. Shoebox has a good write up on it and its a REAL time saver.
Then again i hope its something easier and cheaper then that! Keep us posted
Old 04-14-2013, 04:56 PM

Ske, good thing you sent that link, first time I glanced over it without reading the fine print. Z, got the pressure reading and it's just about zero, crazy cause i'm so used to fp's going out completely but this one makes all the right sounds priming etc. Just changed the f filter yest and checked injectors which are being pulsed. Did the trap door access once on my '94 using a walbro hi perf. pump off the bay and looks like i'll be doing the same thing once again. Much thanks fellas!