LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

a few questions for the experts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 03:20 PM

a few questions for the experts

This winter im planning on doing a variety of mods, Headers, cam kit, and gears.

1) Could i install new gears myself, or would a shop have to do it?
A. If a shop must do at, what $$ am i looking at?
B. If I can do it, are there any special tools i would need?

2. I plan on putting in a hot cam, but also want to do new timing chain, lifters, and pushrods...are there any special tools i would need for this job?

3. What order should i do this project to make it easiest? such as headers, hot cam, then gears, or hot cam, headers, gears, etc.

Thanks for any advice
Old 10-30-2003, 03:34 PM

Well...when it comes to gears, technicaly if you had the right tools you "can" do it. But that is not something I would do in a garage. Thats one of the FEW things I would let a shop do. Becuase lets say you put it in, and dont do it right, and they start to whine, then you gotta do it agian. I would say pay the $300 to $500 (I dunno how much it is exactly) and have a pro speed shop do it. Dont take it to the corner gas station, look for a shop that knows fbodies. As for the hot cam kit, besides your normal sockets, ratchets, etc.. etc.. your going to need a valve spring compressor (hand held) torque wrench, ect..besides the normal tools. Am I missing anything guys? Goto http://www.streetillusionsracing.com/main.htm they have a GREAT guide on doing a cam, and heads also if you want. Well, its always a bad idea to do EVERYTHING at once, its my personal preffrence because if something goes wrong, you dont know exactly what caused it. I learned the hard way. Your order seems pretty good: Headers, Hot cam kit, gears.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:14 PM

i think generally if you ask the question.."can i install gears myself"... the answer is gonna be NO. but if you are still interested you can read the thread below.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=174790

as for a cam.. its not that bad of a job IMO. and all the tools you will need besides obvious stuff like sockets and wrenches is a hub puller.. balancer puller and spring compressor all of which can be rented at autozone if theres one near you.