LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A few "noob" LT1 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 01:06 AM

A few "noob" LT1 questions...

I did a search....I guess I did it wrong cause I got alot of junk so I'm just gonna do this quick, hopefully someone can really quick bang out some answers.

1] How much should a used complete LT1 motor cost with the EFI setup and accessories? Whats acceptable and whats a good deal.

2] ALl LT1's are reverse flow? Meaning the water pump is special...the heads are special...but everything is just a roller cam setup block?

3] What kind of HP will reworked stock heads be good to NA and SC?

4] Whats an LT1 block good to HP wise? Are they alum or iron blocks?

5] If I picked up a used LT1, would 100k miles matter? Would an .03 rebore clean it up and still leave me with an acceptable block good to 550HP?

6] Any known problems with the LT1? (Ignition maybe?)

Again sorry if these question are dumb or overasked.

Hell, my car doesn't even have an engine in it, the 350 I just built is going in over the next few days...and I'm already thinking about what the NEXT engine is going to be man HP is addictive

thanks
Old 08-30-2003, 04:43 AM

Re: A few "noob" LT1 questions...

Originally posted by StealthElephant
1] How much should a used complete LT1 motor cost with the EFI setup and accessories? Whats acceptable and whats a good deal.
?????
2] ALl LT1's are reverse flow? Meaning the water pump is special...the heads are special...but everything is just a roller cam setup block?
Yes all are reverse flow, the block, the cam and oil pump drive are special as well.
Around 500 fwhp NA and 700 fwhp SC, just guessing.
They are befier than older production 350, a properly built 4-main block should handle more than enough.
5] If I picked up a used LT1, would 100k miles matter? Would an .03 rebore clean it up and still leave me with an acceptable block good to 550HP?
???????
Some say the opti (distributor) is the weak link, I think its just another distributor that needs to be changed eventually.

thanks [/B]
Old 08-30-2003, 04:51 AM

I can help with 1 or 2 questions.

1. Ebay you can buy complete engine for $1000, right now. Check local people to see if cheaper.

#2 Block and heads have to be LT1 block and heads.

#6 We all complain about the Optispark, but its really not that bad.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:11 AM

Re: A few "noob" LT1 questions...

Yep, all LT1's are reverse flowed.

Ported, new valves, ect. LT1 heads can flow pretty good. All depeneds how much power you're going for. If your going NA, different heads are a must to make big power. Supercharged, you could survive with stock heads, but different heads would be nice for even more power.

Iron. There's a guy running 1175 flywheel hp on a 4 bolt straight main LT1 block. Camaro and Firebird LT1 blocks are 2 bolt main, Corvette LT1 blocks are 4 bolt main.

Milage depends on how well they've been taken care of. There's plenty of LT1s over 100k miles, a few over 200k. I've even heard of one over 400k. Yeah, if you went to a 355 or 383 stroker, that'd refresh the engine.

Ignition isn't a strong point on the motor. We've got whats called an "optispark." its a cam mounted distributor on the front of the engine, and it does not like to get wet. Stay away from any car wash with a bottom blaster, or deep puddles. Its nestled under some stuff on the front of the engine. You've got to take off the water pump to get to it. The best bets are a OEM replacement from a Chevy dealer (you don't want an autozone one, or one like that), there's also something called a Dynaspark, an aftermarket optispark which has a little better build quality. And there are a few coil per cylinder kits like the LS1's have.