LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fans won't kick on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:08 AM

Fans won't kick on.

Since i have had my car the fans have never been able to kick on according to temperature. My friend was able to get the one fan to be on all the time, but i find that this is not sufficient and the temperature guage still rises very high. I changed the fan motor on the passenger side, becuase i know that the driver side fan works. I disconnected the hot wire which was running the fans all the time to see if i had fixed the problem but still the fans never kick on.
Can any one tell me how to go about finding the problem that is causing the fans not to turn on? I have used the search button but couldnt find anything. Thank you guys, im going to be working on my car tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:26 AM

Re: Fans won't kick on.

If you've had a fan on all the time and it still overheats (understanding what level is actually overheating) than you have another problem.

The absolute first thing to do is flush the system and replace the thermostat if you haven't already done it. Refill it correctly, start the engine and watch for flow as the themostat opens up. Add coolant as necessary and cap off the system. Fill the overflow resevoir correctly and let it cool over night. Check the radiator and top off the coolant the next morning.

Now check to see if your chin spoiler is broke off like everyone elses and replace it. This is crucial to prevent hot engine air from being recirculated back through the radiator.

The fans run on 3 relays which are turned on and off by the PCM. The "switch" side of the relays are powered directly from the battery with a fusible link. The "coil" side of the relays are powered thru the 10amp, #6 fan fuse in the underhood fuse panel. The coil side of the relays are powered by this fuse all the time(when the key is in the "run" position). The PCM activates the relays by grounding the other side of the "coil".

The first electrical item to check is the fan fuse described above. The next things get a little more complicated. However, when the AC is switched on, one fan will be commanded on. You can check for ground at the relay from the PCM by removing the relay and checking pin 85 of the relay coil. You can also manually actuate the relays to prove out the relay, fan wiring and supply voltage is intact and go from there.

Last edited by Guest47904; 01-22-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:39 PM

Re: Fans won't kick on.

Need more info about what temps you are seeing. The stock fans don't come on until 225°. You might be worrying about nothing. Observe the fan status and temps with a scanner.