LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fan Switch Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:53 PM

Fan Switch Mod

Im just trying to find out if someone out there has pics or is willing to be patient with me, ive never done anything electrical, just trying to learn, plus i wanna make sure before i screw some thing up

3 resistors
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062313
Toggle switch
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062506

and does the wire matter?

Am i able to just splice in since i dont know how to solder, i read in some past searches about wire taps? Would this be an option?

Last i dont quite understand the led lingo based off of shoeboxs diagram, i barely understand some of it

Thanks for your patience

Last edited by GMC5.3; 02-04-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: didnt work
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Re: Fan Switch Mod

You cannot use that switch. It is a SPST-not a DPDT. It does not have enough lugs on the back. The resistors are ok. I would not do anything other than solder and heatshrink wrap for the resistors. You can probably find video instructions somewhere on the internet. It's not hard. You could probably get by with wire taps to connect to the blue and green wires in the car's harness. Wire gauge should be no smaller than the stock gauge (about 22 gauge).

If you want to do the LEDs the simplest way, get 12v LEDs and use a switched power source to avoid having to use diodes. If you use a non switched power source for the LEDs and no diodes, the lights won't act right. If you don't use the resistors at the left hand side of the diagram, you will get trouble codes when you turn the switch on (OBD-II only).
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM

Ok shoebox i hope my comment doesnt sound too stupid, but on your blue wire, do i just solder 2 resistors side by side or can i put them one behind the other.

Thanks for your patience
Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 AM

You need to wire them in parallel as per the diagram. You can take the two resistors and join their legs together, then join them to the wire at each end.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 AM

Why do this on a stock setup?Call me crazy.My02.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
Why do this on a stock setup?Call me crazy.My02.
You don't see the benefit of being able to run your fans whenever you like? Staging lanes at the strip? In traffic on a hot day? Cooling down the car with the engine off so you can work on it? Etc.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You don't see the benefit of being able to run your fans whenever you like? Staging lanes at the strip? In traffic on a hot day? Cooling down the car with the engine off so you can work on it? Etc.
Should the resistors be covered with heat shrink tubes, and on the diagram the bottom left terminal is a wire going to a ground correct? So im just using the 2 middle terminals and the bottom left to a ground?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 PM

The wire legs of the resistors should be insulated. Heat shrink would be good. There are three terminals of the switch that should be joined to ground. I can't teach you how to read a schematic, but it is all right there.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
The wire legs of the resistors should be insulated. Heat shrink would be good. There are three terminals of the switch that should be joined to ground. I can't teach you how to read a schematic, but it is all right there.
I beleive i got it, the first 2 on the left and the bottom right, connecting to 1 wire that states (chassis ground)
Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Nope.I see burning up the fan motors before their time.My02.(stock set up).
Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
Nope.I see burning up the fan motors before their time.My02.(stock set up).
Occasionally turning on the fans is certainly not going to hurt their longevity, IMHO.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by shoebox
Occasionally turning on the fans is certainly not going to hurt their longevity, IMHO.
Agreed. Over the past 13 years on this site, I can't recall many problems with fans burning out. And I suspect there are many people who run them full time.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 PM

I've ran mine full time for a couple years and have had no problem with them. I do plan to wire them back up to run like factory, but I have to figure out why they werent coming on.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 94Zee28
I've ran mine full time for a couple years and have had no problem with them. I do plan to wire them back up to run like factory, but I have to figure out why they werent coming on.
Now, that I see as wasteful and unnecessary. Fans are pretty easy to logically diagnose.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Agreed. Over the past 13 years on this site, I can't recall many problems with fans burning out. And I suspect there are many people who run them full time.
Yes, but about the folks that iced down the engine after every run with ice bags?I remember several posts in that direction.Just askin.

Quick Reply: Fan Switch Mod