LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine swap help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:50 PM

Engine swap help

I am in the process of putting a '93 TA LT1 into my '94 LT1 Camaro. I swapped over my '94's intake and pcm to the '93 engine. I noticed that the motor mounts that came with the '93 were different than my motor mounts for the '94. I figured this was probably related to the '93 engine being in a vehicle other than a Camaro or TA (I don't know this I am just speculating). I used my '94's motor mounts. Well, I have the shock tower bolts in place and while jacking up the engine so I can install the K-member bolts and sway bar I noticed that the tires are rubbing the front inside of the wheel well and that the whole K-member seems to be forward about 2 inches such that upon jacking on the passenger side I have a brake line in jeopardy of being crushed. So, Is it normal for this to happen? Are my original motor mounts the problem, or should I keep jacking the engine from under the K-member and it will work itself into place? I would hate to think I have to take the engine out again and swap motor mounts.

And here I thought I was making such progress today..........

Thanks for any comments and suggestions from those experienced with swapping engines into our cars.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 PM

Re: Engine swap help

There shouldn't be any differences in block to mount or mouth to member that I'm aware of the only differences in the 2 years were electronic. Not mechanical or physical. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it should the mounts and member should fit either year or body style.

Edit: other than the intake and throttle body. But I guess you figured that out if you swapped it lol.

avid member @ LTxtech.com for lt1/lt4 enthusiast...
Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 PM

Re: Engine swap help

Originally Posted by SMok3 Em A11
There shouldn't be any differences in block to mount or mouth to member that I'm aware of the only differences in the 2 years were electronic. Not mechanical or physical. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it should the mounts and member should fit either year or body style.

Edit: other than the intake and throttle body. But I guess you figured that out if you swapped it lol.

avid member @ LTxtech.com for lt1/lt4 enthusiast...
Yeah, I didn't think so. I got confirmation of the VIN on May 7th from this site that it is indeed a '93 LT1 block so I'm kind of baffled at this point. I'm going to go on a hunch and figure that the whole K-member assembly has tilted forward and will be able to be straightened out if I continue to carefully jack it up. I'll try to update the site when I get a chance to crawl back under the car.

Thanks for the help!

Greg