LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine starts and run but stalls.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 12:46 AM

Unhappy Engine starts and run but stalls.

ok heres the deal...I may have delt witht his issue before but danged if i dont have to deal with it again....i have a built LT4 in my 97 SS. Today iwas driving and right before i got to work the car stalled out while in motion...There was no stumble or hesitation it just stalled... About 3 years ago I had the same thing happen to me and it was the wireing leading to the crank position sensor. My only thoughts is that it is a inginition based or sensor based problem...I ruled out the opti, because the car will still start and run smooth, but will stall at any given time period. I check the fuses and there fine( plus the car wouldnt start 3 times and run if it was the fuses). So im thinking either a bad crank sensor, bad coil, or bad ignition modual, or i fried the wires leading to the crank sensor....Just want to get some feed back before i start buy crap i dont need....need that money for my 396 build.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:22 AM

Re: Engine starts and run but stalls.

I hate to say it, but it could still be the opti... if you suddenly lose the low res pulse, i think the car will suddenly cut fuel and stall.

Check for a DTC-16 code is the only real way to know if it is happening for sure.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:32 AM

My friend had a similar problem to yours. His would start and run great and it was suddenly stall and sometimes start right back up and some times wouldnt start again until an hour later.
His problem was the wiring to the fuel pump. When the weather got hot the wires would heat and somehow cut power to the fuel pump and his car would stall and not start until the wires cooled down and fuel was able to get back to the engine.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:08 AM

this is more intermitant....it could be a few minutes and it will start and then stall or it could be a hour.....i do however hear the fuel pump running even if it does stall... as far as the opti....ive had the same problem before and it was the wire leading to the opti....that was about 2 years ago and ive changed botht the wire and the opti.... i do notice there is a lot of oil, steming from a oil leak in need to fix, around the crank sensor and all inside the connector itself.....damn i need a scanner to see if i am getting to few a pulse running to the opti and that would let me know that it was the opti....
Old 07-25-2006, 07:50 AM

im getting the same trouble as you.. just kills whenever.. and i was told by a friend of mine who is a chevy mech. to change the crank sensor... andim pulling that p0372 code (few to many pulses).. either way.. hopefully this cures my troubles.