LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 PM

Engine overheating

My engine ran hot the other day, decided i'd throw i few simple parts to see what would happen. First i removed the hose to check the thermostat.. There wasnt one at all and someone just used some sealent to close it. So i bought a 180* one and installed it. I started it up topped off the coolant and let all the air get out. Once again, after awhile it got hot. The water pump is working as i can see the fluid flowing through the radiator. The passenger side fan comes on when the engine is running, but it never changes as it gets hotter. It never speeds up or the second one doesnt come on. Theres no radiator or hose leaks, but it continues to run hot. Could it be a bad sensor, or should i suspect a blown gasket/cracked head? It wasn't smoking out the back except when i first started it but then stopped once it warmed a little. Not really sure at this point?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Re: Engine overheating

For starters, provide info on your car -year, trans type, engine mods as a minimum. For example, the fan operating strategy varies with year. Describe in numbers what you mean by "ran hot" . Are you basing this on the dash gauge? Are you sure the temp sensor for the gauge is accurate?. Did you install the specific t'stat that the LT1 requires? Have you checked the cap pressure, does it hold 18psi?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 AM

Its a 94 z28 auto. Bone stock except a CAI. After sitting for 5-10 minutes it would rise near to 240-250 and i would cut it. Im not entirely sure the gauge works but as i can feel plenty of heat and the hoses are a lot hotter than usual, i feel it would be. It doesn't completely spike out of control, but just continually rises until its too hot. The thermostat fit perfect and was a 180 temp one and was definetly the correct one, as i know more about older SBC, im new to lt1 and found the correct one for it.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 AM

How many fan relays does it have? One of your fans does not seem to be working.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:34 PM

Im pretty sure its 2 in the fuse box under the hood, the only one missing is the one that says "ASR/TCS (Same as ABS relay)" and there isnt even prongs for it to hold one so i assume it is unused

Last edited by 16Sammy61; 03-18-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:50 PM

When i start the engine one fan comes on and stays constant the whole time never changing, nor engaging the second one
Old 03-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Have you scanned it for codes? The fan coming on when the engine starts is often caused by the presence of a trouble code. The PCM turns on the fans to protect the engine.

GM was going to introduce TCS in the 1994 model year, but they never got around to it. And even when it was available starting in 95, it was an option.

The "early" 94 has 2 relays and uses them for Fan 1/Fan 2. "Late" 94 has 3 relays and runs the fans Both low speed/Both high speed.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by shbox.com
1993-1994 - Primary and Secondary fans that operate at only one speed. When initially commanded on, only the primary fan (driver side) comes on. It operates alone at full speed. If the temp threshold is met for addtional cooling, the secondary fan (passenger side) also is commanded on. At this point, both fans are running at full speed.
These fans use a two relay architecture that can be seen in the fuse/relay panel that is under the hood.
Originally Posted by shbox.com
Fans will come on when field service mode is initiated and also when the SES lamp comes on. The PCM does this when certain (most) DTCs are detected to protect the engine from a situation where it may overheat.
Above from the cooling system info on my website.

You may have a trouble code that is causing the fan(s) to immediately come on, but your primary fan is not working.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 PM

Ive read all about that on your website, i love it and it provides a lot of great info. However, the passenger side fan is the one that is on, and i cant quite tell if the drivers side is due to the angle of the radiator, and i dont currently have a jack to get under it. Ive scanned multiple times, yet recieve no codes when i do. My SES lamp comes on if i get it warmed up and continuously give it high rev's over and over it will flash on, but then back off. As i said before, i dont get any codes back at all
Old 03-19-2014, 07:10 PM

Also, not sure if this changes anything, but i misread my guide and there are 3 fan relays. Theres coolant fan #1, #2, and #3. Injuneer said the late 94's had these, and mine does. So could it be that they aren't kicking to high speed when needed? Would that cause this to overheat?

Last edited by 16Sammy61; 03-19-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Administrator

If you have 3 relays, BOTH fans should run on low speed, then BOTH on high speed. Only one fan running would appear to indicate the other fan has failed. The PCM sets codes for faulty fan circuits. Could be what's turning the SES light on.

How did you scan it for codes? You can't short the ALDL connector to flash the codes. There are some combo OBD-1/OBD-2 scanners that just won't work. There's a link to free OBD-1 scanning/data logging software download on the "Computer Diagnostics...." forum. It was written specifically for the 94/95 F-Body LT1.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 PM

At first, i scanned through the ALDL with a code reader and didn't get anything back. It said that when it is plugged in it activates the radiator fans(this is how i was sure that they at LEAST worked) and it will put out codes, but never did. Tomorrow im going to get under it and see if both fans operate, if they do then i will be able to tell whether or not they turn on high. I'm pretty sure they don't, i figure i could hear a noticeable change when the fans kick on high, and have yet to see a change.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 PM

When you short the ALDL (as said, not for retrieving codes) it will make both fans run on high. They will run on low at the low temperature threshold or when the a/c is operated (all this in the information you said you already read on my website).
Old 03-19-2014, 11:11 PM

Im aware of this, but i'm not sure about the fans on high. They seem to be on low all the time, which could be my overheating reason. Even when i short it, they barely seem to be on.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Administrator

You've got to get your facts straight... first post you said:

.....the second one doesnt come on.
Latest post you said:

...They seem to be on low all the time........ Even when i short it, they barely seem to be on.
Hard to help when the info contradicts itself. HOW MANY FANS ARE WORKING?

BOTH fans should come on low at 226*F, or when the AC is on. BOTH fans should shift to high at 235*F.

It would appear that the "code scanner" was the $30 Actron that simply shorts the pins. IT WILL NOT WORK ON 94 OR NEWER.

Quick Reply: Engine overheating