LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Emergency!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 02:49 PM

Exclamation Emergency!

Ok so i'm on my way home and it's raining so i'm REALLY babying it. I get to a light a few blocks from my place and i hear this weird noise comming from under the hood, i check all my guages and my oil pressure is at 20 from a stop is that normal? it is normaly a constant 40 when i'm driving and i've never seen it vairy that much.
I drove home the next few blocks and when i got out i smelled almost as if somthing was burning, didn't really smell like burning oil but i don't know! Anyone know what to dp?!?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:02 PM

More details about the noise would be helpful. Also, is it still doing it? What if you shut it off/restart?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Did you check the coolant temperatur gauge when the oil pressure gauge was acting oddly? Actually, the oil pressure sounds normal.... is it suddenly different than it was before?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:11 PM

It's kind of a low rubbing sound, i haven't gotten to check under the hood because it's a down pour outside. I did on the otherhand restart it when it first happened and it was still doing it... any idea what it might be? i thought maybe my belt went?? would that cause the oil to drop?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:13 PM

Well i' never remembering it being at 20... like ever. And it's not sudden, when the car is at a stop, it will drop fast then, but it holds constant when i'm driving, the rain stopped so i'm going to check under the hood.

Ok i steped outside and it started raining again.....

Last edited by SilverStreak; 06-21-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:19 PM

Stock LT1s are famous for having low oil pressure at idle. It's probably nothing. Just make sure your level is ok and keep an eye on it. Keep an eye on the temp gauge for a while, as well...
Old 06-21-2004, 03:21 PM

Temp is fine, the thing never got above 180 my car is COOL
But what of this new sound? also if this helps when i pressed on the gas some it seemed kind of "sticky" like normaly it's alot smoother and quieter
Old 06-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Everything you have said points to excessive coolant temps....

-a bubbling sound
-reduction in oil pressure
-sluggish throttle response.

The water pump is not belt driven. Loss of belt will not affect coolant circulation, the pump is gear driven. Fans are electric. Loss of belt should not affect oil pressure.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:33 PM

no bubble though, rubbing sound? MY coolant temps where fine, and i was only driving from 3 miles away, i'll go restart it and see if i can describe things better,
Thanks for the help so far everyone!
Old 06-21-2004, 03:42 PM

I think the oil pressure is normal, and maybe i've just never noticed it. I listened to it with the hood up and i couldn't really hear the noise from there?!? but in the car i can defintly hear a rubbing, almost grumaling sound.. exhaust problem maybe?
Old 06-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by SilverStreak
.....grumaling sound....
You've lost me......
Old 06-21-2004, 04:58 PM

If the belts got wet maybe they could have attributed to the noise? I know whenever it rains out and my belt got wet (with the stock-ish LT1) it would cause them to make a low-squeal noise.. but definately not a rubbing noise. Not sure.

A thought maybe
Old 06-21-2004, 05:34 PM

Here's another thing to check... See if coolant is leaking from the weephole on the bottom of the waterpump onto the power steering belt. That's how I discovered a bad waterpump the first time... The belt was acting weird making noises.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:02 PM

I see no visable leaking. i mean grubaling sorry. Ok i took it for a ride and this is what i got.
It happens more offten while accelerating.
There is a vibrating in the car when the sound is being made by my feet and i can feel it slightly in the peddle.
While reving in park it will make it very quietly but not very often. When i'm just crusing at a speed the noise seems to go away
Belts are fine besides dry rot. (going to change)
I checked my trans fluid and it is brownish, which is normaly bad, but just last year i put a new trans in so i think it might be because the new gears and whatnot are meshing.
when reving it manualy from under the hood, i cannot hear the noise.

I think i'm going to change my fluid and filter this week. Any idea what it might be? i was thinking maybe my universals, but it happens in park. converter?trans? god i hope not but maybe?? also could a vibration in the exhaust cause a similar girding vibration noise?? it's so hard to explain i might try to record it... HELP!
Old 06-21-2004, 11:00 PM

New development. I think it might be an exhaust leak causeing the noise/vibration. it's weird because it's happening almost always at 1700-1900 rpm. which makes me think maybe the exhaust is comming out at a rate which it makes the noise... does this sound in any way possible??

Quick Reply: Emergency!