LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Edlebrock LT1 heads.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:43 AM

Edlebrock LT1 heads.

Let me start off by saying that I need a set of basically stock heads to put my motor back together, and my stock ones are ported out to LE3s. So around here the stock ones go for well over a $1000 with no cores and I don't have cores. So I think the edlebrocks would be a decent choice, from what I know about them. My question about them is that it says they use stock self aligning or aftermarket self aligning rockers, but nothing about non self aligning or guideplates, does anyone know if I can use the nsa rockers? Also is the thread the studs srew into 7/16 or 3/8? Because my rockers I wanted to use are 7/16 Pro Magnums NSA. Also how is the quality of these heads? Anyone with any experience with them? Thanks alot in advance.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stroked&Poked
Let me start off by saying that I need a set of basically stock heads to put my motor back together, and my stock ones are ported out to LE3s. So around here the stock ones go for well over a $1000 with no cores and I don't have cores. So I think the edlebrocks would be a decent choice, from what I know about them. My question about them is that it says they use stock self aligning or aftermarket self aligning rockers, but nothing about non self aligning or guideplates, does anyone know if I can use the nsa rockers? Also is the thread the studs srew into 7/16 or 3/8? Because my rockers I wanted to use are 7/16 Pro Magnums NSA. Also how is the quality of these heads? Anyone with any experience with them? Thanks alot in advance.
Any reason not to get a set of nice used LT1 castings from Ebay?.......even the most desirable casting numbered LT1 heads usually end up going for less than $300......I just recently picked up a set of low mile LT1 #643's for $230 shipped.............I installed a set of the Edelbrock heads on a friends Vette(that I couldn't talk out of buying them)....the casting quality was real good as was the rest of the parts.....and there still running with no issues on the guys car (it's been a couple years)....but almost no performance difference believe it or not........both 3/8 studs and 7/16 rocker studs have the same exact thread size on the bottom threads that screw into the heads....it's just the rocker side of the threads that changes................Joe

Last edited by Joe B; 06-15-2007 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Joe B
Any reason not to get a set of nice used LT1 castings from Ebay?.......even the most desirable casting numbered LT1 heads usually end up going for less than $300......I just recently picked up a set of low mile LT1 #643's for $230 shipped.............I installed a set of the Edelbrock heads on a friends Vette(that I couldn't talk out of buying them)....the casting quality was real good as was the rest of the parts.....and there still running with no issues on the guys car (it's been a couple years)....but almost no performance difference believe it or not........both 3/8 studs and 7/16 rocker studs have the same exact thread size on the bottom threads that screw into the heads....it's just the rocker side of the threads that changes................Joe
I've never seen the Edelbrock's in person. How do they look for porting vs. Trickflow or a stock head?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 PM

I found a set of stock heads with casting numbers 10207649, and 10207849 for a really good price, are these any good?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
I've never seen the Edelbrock's in person. How do they look for porting vs. Trickflow or a stock head?

Thanks
Really there was no way for me to tell just by looking at them how far they would go out(port wise) before getting into trouble.....but I've heard from reliable sources that they yield ZERO advantage over a stock casting LT1 head concerning a full port .....Without any question I would always prefer a set of Trickflows or one of the desired casting number stock LT1 head's....since we know for certain what is capable with them..............Joe
Old 06-16-2007, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stroked&Poked
I found a set of stock heads with casting numbers 10207649, and 10207849 for a really good price, are these any good?
All I can say is that for MAX port work, not all but many highend shops prefer the 643's or the 374's for a casting number...........But you mentioned that you just want some stock heads to go back on your car......and you already have some LE3's.........so really ANY casting # should be just fine........what are you doing with your LE3's?......Joe

Last edited by Joe B; 06-16-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:23 AM

Okay, I'm going to buy them then. As far as the LE3s I'm keeping them on the 383 I originally built for the car. I'm putting the 383 in an old car because here in New Jersey I can't get a sticker for the '94 with a 383 in it.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Administrator

How would they know the displacement of the engine? They seldom open the hood, and if they did, there's no way for them to determine the displacement, whether the heads have been worked, what cam is in it, etc. Until you start to remove emissions systems, use obvious aftermarket parts with no CARB-EO stickers, etc, they are not going to reject the car. Mine was street driven, with a sticker when it had full emissions equipment, dual cats (technically illegal) and "stockish" looking parts. It was only when it became a "track only" car that I gave up on even trying for a sticker.

Been there...... done that....