LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Does trap speed go up or down with traction?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 08:23 PM

Does trap speed go up or down with traction?

Heard lots of different things with this, does speed go up or down with traction? I say that it goes up, cause you are using more energy/track to accellerate the car.

Opinions/facts needed!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:30 PM

Re: Does trap speed go up or down with traction?

Originally Posted by Serene
Heard lots of different things with this, does speed go up or down with traction? I say that it goes up, cause you are using more energy/track to accellerate the car.

Opinions/facts needed!

Up! Although a 6spds mph can go down if bogging occurs. With the perfect launch traction will always lead to a higher mph. You can't fully accelerate if the tires are spinning.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:36 PM

thats what i think too, but some people say down for some reason. going down seems to violate physics laws, etc
Old 09-12-2004, 09:04 PM

Well a dead hook = less mph and higher ET

For best ET, you want a touch of wheel spin. So normally on your very best ETs, your traps are also little bigger, but the car may not have 60' as well numerically.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:35 PM

I went to the track last Thursday and while I couldnt get traction at all I did notice that my best 60' of 2.255 alse yielded the fastest run and highest mph.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:02 PM

More wheelspin will usually create higher MPH.

Frank
Old 09-12-2004, 10:06 PM

more traction = lower mph and lower ET
Old 09-12-2004, 11:14 PM

This has been debated at lengh many times, and I feel there is a determining factor of "where" the car spins to determine if mph will go up or down with traction. Take a front wheel drive turbo honda - I've seen plenty run 13.8s at 105 - 106 on street tires. Slick them up and even with a so so launch, they run 12.xs at 115 - 118. Why? Cause they aren't destroying the tires at the top of every gear. I think the reason most people say mph goes down is because they usually are comparing different tire sizes.
Atljar - I am curious, your 11.98 @ 115, what kind of tire was that? If it was a nitto, I'm doing something wrong, cause I can't get better than a 1.9 on em! With a 6K clutch drop, I'd presume a slick, or et street. If not, mad props. However, I'd wager that on a street tire, you'd be hard pressed to trap higher than 115. Has it? One last thing - where do you shift at? Your car peaks a little higher than mine, but damn those 4.10s, Im hitting 4th a hair after the 1/8th. I think with a slick I might trap higher cause it will kill a bit of that gear. I just hate the thought of shifting at 6700 unless its gonna make it quicker and faster.

Fank - you too, have you run your car on a radial? I just don't see much more mph out of it with a radial. If you guys were running 12.2s @ 106 - 108, I'd say sure, it could pick up a couple with radials.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by brain
Atljar - I am curious, your 11.98 @ 115, what kind of tire was that? If it was a nitto, I'm doing something wrong, cause I can't get better than a 1.9 on em! With a 6K clutch drop, I'd presume a slick, or et street. If not, mad props. However, I'd wager that on a street tire, you'd be hard pressed to trap higher than 115. Has it? One last thing - where do you shift at? Your car peaks a little higher than mine, but damn those 4.10s, Im hitting 4th a hair after the 1/8th. I think with a slick I might trap higher cause it will kill a bit of that gear. I just hate the thought of shifting at 6700 unless its gonna make it quicker and faster.
I went 11s on a 26x11.5x16 ET street. Best trap I have gotten on nittos is 114 and some change, but to compare the two isnt really fair IMO. On the ET streets I will do 6k+ clutch dumps, where the nittos i can only leave at 3500 or so. I would bet that i could get a 115 trap out of the car on Nittos, but i so rarely run it in that form, it just has never happened. Best ET i ever got out of them was only a 12.50 (12.80 something on the 114+ trap spinning pretty well).

I shift at 6700-6800, right before the power falls off. Not sure on the exact number as the tach is slow and the datalogs have a glitch in them after you get past 6475rpms (or some number right along there, they stop incrementing). Car is 4.33 geared. The nittos are a much shorter tire than the ET streets too, so thats something else that effects things.

Back in the bolt on days, i managed a 1.78 60' on nittos, but since the cam i havent been able to dip below mid 1.8s. Too hit or miss with them to be consistent, so like i said above i rarely run with them anymore unless i am out there just dicking around.

Last edited by atljar; 09-12-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:57 PM

atljar, what clutch you using?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:01 AM

Its a SLP lt4 unit. Its really starting to slip now though. Just bought a street Twin but its not going in until i get my new motor finished up
Old 09-13-2004, 12:42 AM

I went 14.3 @ 103mph on a 2.6 60ft (old setup, no cam, stock manifolds)... my friend went 13.7 @ 105mph on a 2.4 60ft. He ran 12.8 @ 108mph later in the year on a 1.8 60ft I think... and I was hoping to see 13s @ 104~105mph with traction. Every car differs and it depends on where your traction is as to if you will gain or lose. Its confusing and I dont fully understand it either. I think if your spinning off the line... you could see a gain with normal 1.8~2.0 traction... if your going from 2.0 to say 1.5 your going to lose mph but drop ET. Maybe someone else will know for sure how it works.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:59 AM

You will almost always gain mph with increased traction. The only time more traction will hurt your mph is when you dead hook and bog. Spinning after the launch will kill your mph. An example occured when I was running the '97. I was consistently trapping 110 all night. There was a spill on teh track and I spun pretty bad into third gear....the result was a 106 mph trap on an otherwise good run. The best mph in my '97 always came when I cut the best 60's and hooked all the way down the track.

In short, unless you dead hook and bog, traction will INCREASE mph.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:50 PM

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...light=Traction

Near the end I gave my take on it
Basically it can go either way depending on how much traction is lost... I gave a bit of math to help illustrate how MPH can go up by spinning the tires (a little).

If your spinning like mad every gear, common sense would say that your going to go slower and common sense in that cause would be right. Just the right amount of slip though does help...
Old 09-13-2004, 12:56 PM

LOL I just noticed that my link above was also posted by Serene a long time ago with a nearly identical question

Quick Reply: Does trap speed go up or down with traction?