LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ditch Opti

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Ditch Opti

What are the best units to buy so I can get rid of my optispark. Do they still make the Delteq or anything new come out in the last 4 years.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 PM

Re: Ditch Opti

Do you mind if i ask why you wanna ditch the o.p.t.I?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM

Had my car for 5 years and I have relpaced about 4 of them. Today I was driving down the highway at about 80mph my car about died with a big missfire I took my foot off the gas and it stayed on. at higher rpm's its pretty much had it. I even have the dynospark opti its lasted me the longest allmost 3 years

Dynaspark - The last distributor you'll ever have to buy
Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM

plus I am sick of routing my wires lol.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 PM

I had issues with wires when i ran the Bbk shorties but since the pacesetter lt's I have never burnt one.I also had issues with the. O.p.t.I but i was being. Cheap *** and buying remanufactured junk. Since I've bought my m.s.d billet o.p.t.I I've had zero issues. I also love the fact that I can pull timing with it for spray because I don't have the slightest idea how to tune my own car. A.c.c.e.l made a kit to convert over and i am not sure if delteq was still available. My o.p.t.I has been revved past 7k numerous times and has never let me down "fingers crossed" lol. Good luck with whatever you chose but you still have too have an o.p.t.I fyi. It still uses the optical eye
Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Do you mind if i ask why you call it the "o.p.t.I"?

To answer lt1le2's question, the Delteq system did not eliminate the Optispark distributor. It still used the Opti for the cam position sensor. Then it used an external processor and 4 Oldsmobile waste-spark coils. The inventor/manufacturer's support disappeared about 4 or 5 years ago. And it had a lot of problems.

Like the Delteq, the Bailey LTCC uses the Opti cam position sensor, and has an external processor that fires 8 LS1 coils. Actually works, and tech support and replacement parts are still available.

Bailey LTCC setup

Getting the high voltage out of the Opti seems to improve its life expectancy. But what you haven't told us is what the failure mechanism of your four Opti's was. Care to share? No reason a stock engine should need anything other than a stock/factory Optispark.

The next step is the EFIConnection 24X system. Totally eliminates the Opti, uses a replacement timing cover with a cam position sensor, and requires that you swap to an LS1 PCM. Fires 8 LS1 coils. Reliable, but fairly expensive.

EFI Connection, LLC - EFI Connection 24x System

Last edited by Injuneer; 03-11-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 PM

I have predictive text so if I type it without punctuation it will come up as options. I love the fact that you felt the need too be sarcastic about it probably thinking I was a complete moron with my own meaning to o.p.t.i
Old 03-11-2012, 11:09 PM

Also I wanna apologize a.c.c.e.l does not make a o.p.t.I conversion.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:02 PM

Fred,

Been awhile since I talked to you last

The optical sensors in my last opti were blowing because I was buying those cheap POS ebay ones, but I will say ever since I bought the dynaspark it’s lasted me 3 years. I called the guys that made them and he said he would rebuild it with new sensor, cap rotor, cleaning, wiring if needed, resealed and tested for 100 bucks.I might just go that route.

The weird thing about my car is it just feels like when I step on the gas it revs more than actually catches in gear I thought it was the transmission but had a rebuilt one put in and it was doing the same thing at least I know I have almost new tranny and new TC.. I am starting to get worried that it’s more of my rear-end because I swapped my original one with a 03 Camaro SS 4’10 as I have a 95z 28. Would that matter? And yes it is programmed for 410gears.

Fuel pressure is good new plugs and wires I even installed new valve springs and lifters from Loyd Elliot and my car still feels sluggish as hell it does have 170k miles on it now maybe the motor is just getting tired I don’t know but when I take the opti out this time I am going to pull the timing chain cover and replace it with a new chain.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by lt1le2
Fred,

The optical sensors in my last opti were blowing because I was buying those cheap POS ebay ones, but I will say ever since I bought the dynaspark it’s lasted me 3 years. I called the guys that made them and he said he would rebuild it with new sensor, cap rotor, cleaning, wiring if needed, resealed and tested for 100 bucks.I might just go that route.
Do a search over on corvetteforum you'll find a thread within the last year discussing that dynaspark changed hands again and the recent rebuilds/replacements are coming back with poor machining and with cheap chinese components. The same components as in those $100 ebay optis you were using.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM

ahhhh man you had to tell me that lol
Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dennis5374
I have predictive text so if I type it without punctuation it will come up as options. I love the fact that you felt the need too be sarcastic about it probably thinking I was a complete moron with my own meaning to o.p.t.i
Sorry you took it as sarcasm... but in 13 years on this site, I've never seen anyone post it that way.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 AM

New smart phones making me look dumb lol. It does it with alot of words. I'm sure I could take the time to figure it out but I'm lazy when it comes too that stuff. Especially company names like a.t.I becomes anti lol. E.c.u becomes Ecuador and so on and so forth so rather than change the settings in my phone I opt to just throw a period in between letters
Old 03-13-2012, 02:04 AM

The reason I felt you were being sarcastic is because I said "do you mind if i ask why you wanna ditch the o.p.t.I and you followed it up with "do you mind if I ask why you call it an o.p.t.I". Not that its a big deal but I sensed a small hint of mockery and sarcasm in the post lol
Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 AM

The reason I felt you were being sarcastic is because I said "do you mind if i ask why you wanna ditch the o.p.t.I and you followed it up with "do you mind if I ask why you call it an o.p.t.I". Not that its a big deal but I sensed a small hint of mockery and sarcasm in the post lol

Quick Reply: Ditch Opti