LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Deleting smog/air pump with LT1 Edit.... will I still be able to pass emission plugin

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 09:44 PM

Deleting smog/air pump with LT1 Edit.... will I still be able to pass emission plugin

I will be buying a set of KooK's LT1 headers when they are availible and I need to know what way to get them configured.

If I get them without any smog provisions and use LT1 edit to delete/shut-off the air pump, would it trip any alarms when I do a plugin test?

I'm not too concerned about passing on the roller, I have a few tricks up my sleeve for that little problem . I just need to make sure I get that far. It does me no good if I fail as soon as they plug in to my car.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:01 PM

Re: Deleting smog/air pump with LT1 Edit.... will I still be able to pass emission plugin

I'm wondering how you're gonna get by with that LT4 top end package and 390 hp at the wheels let alone the plug in!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 11:41 PM

Re: Deleting smog/air pump with LT1 Edit.... will I still be able to pass emission plugin

If your car is 1997 or newer, most of the time if you pass the plugin you will not need to do a roller emission test.

But if I have to pass a roller test.

1) I will tune for it.
2) Run a little nitro-methane.
3) Make a custom y-pipe with 4 cats.
4) Rig up a compressed air injection system before the cats.
5) Throw a fistfull of cash at the operator ($500.00).

I dont think I will need to go past #2, my cam is not that crazy. But if things dont go easy I will skip right to #5, that ought to fix the problem.

So if anyone has connections in Massachusetts and wants to make $500, send me a pm.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:48 PM

Anybody?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:20 PM

You won't pass because the state looks for emissions systems "readiness", including EGR and AIR systems. I've already done what you're trying, and it was great, but that was before they started doing the plug in ALDL scan. I've even talked with Carputing about this issue (I also have OBD II LT1 Edit), but they weren't very knowledgeable about what the inspection scan is actually doing.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:29 PM

Find a friend with a shop, pay the 50 bucks or whatever it is and get it inspected. I hate the DMV in NJ with a passion, a serious passion. They failed me for a loose seat and "projectiles" in the car, which were two foam boggie boards (no hard bottom) LOL

That is IF your state MA actually allows it

If not, just heat things up and get in when there is no line LOL

Last edited by ChrisS95TA; 10-06-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:50 PM

Thanks Josh, that's the information I was looking for........ but not what I wanted to hear. Guess I will have to order them with all emission crap

Josh, I just noticed that you live in Ware. Small world, I live right around the corner in Brimfield. Soon to be moving to Holland though (just bought a house). I have not seen a black 97' WS6 driving around but I will keep a eye out for you. So, if you happen to see some jackass honking and waving at you some day while your out driving your car....... that would be me.