LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Delco [Stock] wires

Old 08-12-2008, 12:05 AM

Thumbs up Delco [Stock] wires

...just made me a very, very happy person

After a full year of chasing a misfire the problem is finally fixed. I had problems with Taylor OTVC wires as well as MSD. The Taylors were junk, MSD however I will take some of the blame for - I may have been the source of some damage during installation (although I am not sure where). Even though the MSDs didnt work out for me they were MUCH better quality than the taylors.

That being said - I wish I had never gone the OTVC route. There is nothing wrong with it, but after today I also see nothing wrong with the stock location. The problem with the stock location is the looms. I was afraid of going back to stock because I removed ALL of my stock looms. I was very surprised though when routing them in the stock locations, without the looms, was easy as pie. I had them installed in a half hour, taking my time, and using maybe 3 or 4 zip ties. After experiencing everything, I think the stock location WITHOUT the stock looms is the best way to go. It was easier to do than OTVC, and OTVC is pretty easy. I have plenty of clearance on the headers & block too.

Ill admit the only reason i did them in the first place is because I figured my 90k mile wires were due, and I thought OTVC looked cool Even though I found crimping wires incredibly simple - obviously Im just not cut out for that job. There are many people that have no problems at all with it so I guess I am a minority - I put 80% of an engine together and it worked flawlessly but I cant handle crimping wires

The only thing now is that the car seems like it has a fouled plug or two from all the missfiring, but its still running 100x better. I never even realized it until I put the delco's on, but the car wasnt running on all 8 cylinders AT ALL until at least 1500 rpm, idle included. I am going to change the plugs out for some fresh NGK TR6s: cooler plugs which should help even more.

Just wanted to share my experience and also apologize for getting a little hotheaded about a problem I apparently created

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 08-12-2008 at 12:10 AM.