LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

a couple really dumb questions about traction control

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 11:00 PM

Red face a couple really dumb questions about traction control

ok, I'll start off with my sad racetrack story. It was hot and humid today, so I wasn't at my fastest, but I was running pretty consistent 13's all night, until my final run. I lined up against a V6 mustang, and said to myself "welp, I'm 3 for 3 so far tonight, bout to be 4 for 4". I started my burnout and almost immediately the "low trac" light came on and my power dropped off to nothing. I limped to the starting line, sat there for a few seconds, the low trac light turned off, and I figgered traction control was off now and I'd be fine (besides the lack of a decent burnout). I went on to run a blazing 17.375@88.86, with a 2.854 60' time . The V6 stang ran a 16.2@85...at least I was pulling on him on the top end of the track . it felt like I was barely touching the gas, even though I had it floored. Seemed like an eternity...I now have a new respect for the patience it takes to drive a honda

Now for the questions:
Why did that happen, even though the low trac light was no longer on? Does traction control make that huge of a difference? I figgered traction control would make me run a mid 14 or somethin, not a mid 17. That was the first time in my life I've triggered traction control at the track. And for the stupidest question of all, uhh, how do I turn it off? I looked in the manual, and it says the button is at the middle of the console, behind the shifter...the only button I have there is the transmission perform button. Is the button hiding from me, or is there no way to turn off traction control on a '94 t/a?
Old 08-19-2003, 11:07 PM

As far as I know Traction Control was discontinued for 94 cars, at least it was for Z28's. As I look in the GM manual it shows a switch for Pontiacs on the drivers side of the center console
Old 08-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Administrator

There was no "traction control" available in 1994. The "LOW TRAC" light comes on when the ABS activates.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:11 PM

What He said.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:19 PM

well then what made my car lose so much power and run a 17? it was fine 20 minutes later when I was heading home
Old 08-19-2003, 11:43 PM
Banned

Re: a couple really dumb questions about traction control

Originally posted by JoshGuitar
ok, I'll start off with my sad racetrack story. It was hot and humid today, so I wasn't at my fastest, but I was running pretty consistent 13's all night, until my final run. I lined up against a V6 mustang, and said to myself "welp, I'm 3 for 3 so far tonight, bout to be 4 for 4". I started my burnout and almost immediately the "low trac" light came on and my power dropped off to nothing. I limped to the starting line, sat there for a few seconds, the low trac light turned off, and I figgered traction control was off now and I'd be fine (besides the lack of a decent burnout). I went on to run a blazing 17.375@88.86, with a 2.854 60' time . The V6 stang ran a 16.2@85...at least I was pulling on him on the top end of the track . it felt like I was barely touching the gas, even though I had it floored. Seemed like an eternity...I now have a new respect for the patience it takes to drive a honda

Now for the questions:
Why did that happen, even though the low trac light was no longer on? Does traction control make that huge of a difference? I figgered traction control would make me run a mid 14 or somethin, not a mid 17. That was the first time in my life I've triggered traction control at the track. And for the stupidest question of all, uhh, how do I turn it off? I looked in the manual, and it says the button is at the middle of the console, behind the shifter...the only button I have there is the transmission perform button. Is the button hiding from me, or is there no way to turn off traction control on a '94 t/a?
ASR is the defintion of useless and overcompensation.

its like useing a nuke to blow up an ant hill.

the ESP in mercedes, now thats somethign I could go for - when you spin- you feel the car torque itself strait. it brakes on the propper corners and gives power to one side- that thing is THEE ****.

man when that "!" lights up on the dash, its like all systems go in that beast

:bow CLK
Old 08-20-2003, 02:07 AM

Re: Re: a couple really dumb questions about traction control

Originally posted by treyZ28
ASR is the defintion of useless and overcompensation.

its like useing a nuke to blow up an ant hill.

the ESP in mercedes, now thats somethign I could go for - when you spin- you feel the car torque itself strait. it brakes on the propper corners and gives power to one side- that thing is THEE ****.

man when that "!" lights up on the dash, its like all systems go in that beast

:bow CLK
You say that..but have you every used ASR in the snow??
Old 08-20-2003, 07:49 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: a couple really dumb questions about traction control

Originally posted by S8ER95Z
You say that..but have you every used ASR in the snow??
yes it sucks
Old 08-20-2003, 08:01 AM

well I'm still confused...some of y'all say the '94's didn't have traction control...my manual says it does (and yes, it's the right 94 manual). The manual says if traction control is triggered, you'll get the "low trac" light and be down on power, which is exactly what happened. The manual also mentions a non-existent button to turn traction control off. I've never had traction control triggered at the track before, even when I launched too hard on street tires and fishtailed halfway up the track...so was it traction control that made me have no power and run a 17, or does my car have issues? and if it was, where's my button hiding?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by JoshGuitar
well I'm still confused...some of y'all say the '94's didn't have traction control...my manual says it does (and yes, it's the right 94 manual). The manual says if traction control is triggered, you'll get the "low trac" light and be down on power, which is exactly what happened. The manual also mentions a non-existent button to turn traction control off. I've never had traction control triggered at the track before, even when I launched too hard on street tires and fishtailed halfway up the track...so was it traction control that made me have no power and run a 17, or does my car have issues? and if it was, where's my button hiding?
95 was the first year they had it and and there is a little ASR button in the cd holder thing
Old 08-20-2003, 10:33 AM

Do you have a black box sitting directly over the middle of the driver-side valve cover? Under the plastic cover of that box lies a servo that's connected to the throttle linkage and is part of the ASR/TCS setup. If you don't have it, then you most likely don't have ASR/TCS (unless the implementation was different from my '96).

EDIT: Here's a picture for you...

Last edited by BitCypher; 08-20-2003 at 10:59 AM.