LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Correct Fuel Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:39 AM

Re: Correct Fuel Injectors?

94Z28LS1toLT1 , Fatdog2

Exactly what I was looking for - you guys are amazing thanks.

Just reinstalled the new injectors, new fpr and changed the fuel filter (soaked in gas - FML)

Still won't start and my fuel pressure gauge only goes up to about 5 now and stays there.

I had an interesting thought today. When I changed the opti - I had a tough time getting the 3 bolts out of the crank pulley. It rotated counter clockwise a couple times (kept the serpentine belt on so everything rotated). I did mark where it was originally before I started, and thought I rotated it back to the starting position - but maybe I didn't? Won't this cause it not to start? I read something about TDC being off when this happens.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Oh and I installed an Autozone Opti ($159)

I know Delco's are the best, but this one came with a lifetime warranty
Old 06-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Administrator

If you align the Opti splined shaft correctly, that's all you need to do with regard to TDC.

http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg
Old 06-06-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro91RS
Still won't start and my fuel pressure gauge only goes up to about 5 now and stays there.
Originally Posted by Camaro91RS
Oh and I installed an Autozone Opti ($159)

I know Delco's are the best, but this one came with a lifetime warranty
at 5 psi for FP...your car will not start. Your fuel pump, or wiring to it, is suspect.

until your fuel pressure issue is resolved....you won't know if your Autozone opti is any good. A real crap shoot with those cheap offshore brands...you may likely be using that "lifetime warranty" often with it

if you still have your old Opti and it is a AC Delco and was working...I would use it. You can get a new cap and rotor for it. Like any distributor those are wear items. MSD makes a good cap & rotor kit...not sure if they make one for the spline shaft model of Opti...look up for a part #
Old 06-06-2017, 03:57 PM

You should check or change the fuel filter. It's an easy, quick, and cheap maintenance item to rule it out as a cause for low pressure. I've seen this a few times as a cause for low pressure. Worth a shot.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:49 PM

Maybe lets start from the get go.My heart is here because I have a 93 as well.Anyway,pull the plugs out and look at them.The plugs are the eyes of the engine(heard this on the radio so it must be true ha ha).Second,inspect the spark plug wires and replace them and the plugs if they are ancient.
Third,inspect the opti wire that goes from the opti to connection in front of the purge solenoid.That thing has been known to burn or melt at the opti connector.
Next,the map sensor on top of the intake manifold.There are tests for this.
I don't think you can run a scan because the engine isn't running right now,but may you can pull some codes using a paper clip (I think shoebox has a sight for this.)
Another thing is the coil wire.This is the weak link for the plug wires.If the coil terminal is all corroded with white stuff clean it off.
Most of what is happening can be found on this sight or on u-tube.
But first,your fuel pressure needs to be addressed like the others said.
I do have one question.Has the car been sitting for some time?ie,bad gas.Just a little history.Sorry if this was explained already.Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:24 AM

Might check the coolant temperature sensor and it's (connector.)That's all for now.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
All unvented Opti's 93/94 F-Body's use the same keyed spline drive, which IN THEORY can only be inserted one way. Unfortunately, IN PRACTICE people manage to assemble them incorrectly. I'd estimate at least 10% of the installs are misaligned. There is nothing unique to the 93 LT1 to prevent this from happening.

Depends how reliable/honest the seller is. The Walbro pumps are heavily counterfeited, cheap Chinese rip-offs, with a very short life.

Picture is confusing. Did you get 8 of the orange injectors, or is the intent some sort of "mix and match"?
actually the 93s can not be mid aligned due to the shaft will only go in one way mine has a keyed shaft that allows it to where it can not be mid alligned that was only done on the 93
Old 02-04-2021, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by David Wayne
actually the 93s can not be mid aligned due to the shaft will only go in one way mine has a keyed shaft that allows it to where it can not be mid alligned that was only done on the 93
Wow man - resurrecting a 4 yr old post - I like it lol

Had to part ways with my bird a couple years ago so this hit me in the feels.

But thank you for the response. I bought a 98 Cobra but definitely plan on getting another TA in the future
Old 02-04-2021, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by David Wayne
Bad information.

Actually, the keyed, splined drive shaft was used on the 93 AND 94 LT1 (unvented) Opti. Yes, there is a “key” on one spline that IN THEORY prevents misalignment. Unfortunately, people lacking relevant technical knowledge fail to understand that the shaft can be inserted in the incorrect position. The most common cause is assembling the parts, having the key prevent complete insertion, causing the Opti not to seat fully, and then pulling the Opti against the timing cover with the bolts, forcing the key into the wrong position.

Over the 20+ years I've been here (and on similar LT1 sites) helping people troubleshoot LT1 “no start”, and “rough running” problems, there have been numerous documented cases of the splined shaft being installed incorrectly.

From Shoebox - been on his nationally recognized LT1 reference website for 20 years:

http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg

Has been done, will continue to be done by people without the requisite knowledge.

Thanks for playing.