LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cooling system flush by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:32 PM

Cooling system flush by dealer

Ok, I know it isn't that difficult to do. However, I don't have any way to do it because of my living arrangement. (condo)

I contacted a Chev dealership and asked their procedure. They said they use a machine to flush the entire system. Will this do the job properly? Will the overflow tank be flushed too?

I don't mind spending the bucks to get it done as frankly I don't want to, and can't, deal with the mess. But I have read the how-to's and they involved the recovery tank and also removing a knock sensor and another plug on the block which I doubt lube guy at the dealership will do.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:19 AM

Re: Cooling system flush by dealer

If there isn't any rust in the radiator then I would just go to an auto repair shop that understands reverse cooling,bleeding the air out ect.When I first got this car I had the power flush done and It still had rust.It's all clear now after I did it myself .The power flush didn't work for me.Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:49 PM

I haven't even looked in the rad. It only has about 68000 miles so I assume it is ok but I should check. I think I am going to take it to a dealer and have it flushed with a machine. I am just worried that some $10/hr lube guy will get the opti wet and then I am screwed.

The only other way would be to drain the rad, fill it with water. Drain it after driving it. Fill it with water. Drain it....rinse and repeat until it comes out clear. Would take a lot longer but at least I am not worried about the opti getting screwed up.

I am only changing it because it is original anti-freeze. It doesn't run hot or leak. Just time to swap over some 20 year old fluids in the car.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:25 PM
Administrator

If it's really the original coolant, the entire cooling system could be seriously corroded and plugged up. Have you owned the car since new? Depends slightly on the type of coolant - Dex-Cool vs. Conventional, but we don't know because we don't know the year of your car.

The average "dealer" can be pretty ignorant when it comes to the reverse flow cooling system used in the LT1 engine. They hardly ever see these cars for service. At least you took the time to research how to do it correctly.

Each year of the LT1 has it's differences. You really need to add a "signature" to help us help you.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/