LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Coolant level sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 PM

Coolant level sensor

The coolant level sensor on the passenger side radiator on my '97 Z will not stay on properly (4 times it has popped off within 1,000 miles). I have zero confidence in the "bailing wire" that snaps on and holds this sensor in place. It may be the battery is in contact with the sensor when I drive over a bump or dip and it jolts the sensor off. The placement of the sensor is within 3/4" - 1/2" of the battery. Can I just remove the sensor and plug it closed? Or can I have the sensor PERMANENTLY installed (with mounting bracket, screws, etc) so that SOB doesn't pop off again? I check the coolant level myself anyways. The sensor works properly, but it doesn't help when I pull in my driveway and I have the sensor hanging by the 2 wires and coolant is flowing out down my driveway. Thanks, Z-monsters.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM

Re: Coolant level sensor

Are you sure you are getting the wire on correctly? Or maybe the little ears on the radiator are worn and won't hold it. I have not heard of anyone ever having this trouble.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 AM

yea all i can think is that your not getting it on all of the way but stranger things have happened. i really cant see where you could screw it in but hell if chuck norris could do it you can.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Make sure the port is not cracked. Mine was cracked and leaking, so I used scotchweld 2216 epoxy and a heatgun to set it quicker. It stayed in regardless. Theres a spring clip that has to wrap around the plastic flange on the port and than it sets into the two slots on the sensor, take the battery out to check to make sure the spring clip is seated, also make sure the port is not damaged.

If all else fails, unplug and remove the sensor, plug the port, and tape off the connector. You will have to be proactive in checking your engine temps and periodically checking the level in the case of a coolant leak or waterpump failure.

Last edited by marc1130; 04-01-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 PM

[B]Thanks for the advice. I ensured the clip was installed properly, and the port ears appear to be fine as well. However...that dang sensor is butted right up against my battery. Is that typical, or am I doing something wrong? I don't see any other way to remove and install that sensor other than the way it is right up against the battery. My concern (again) is that battery may shift (although it's bolted down) and cause that sensor to get bumped and I'm back at square one. Thanks again gentlemen...
Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 PM

so a little bit of a hijack my sensor light is always on. i check my coolant all the time but its always full. Bad sensor?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by texplorer7500
[B]Thanks for the advice. I ensured the clip was installed properly, and the port ears appear to be fine as well. However...that dang sensor is butted right up against my battery. Is that typical, or am I doing something wrong? I don't see any other way to remove and install that sensor other than the way it is right up against the battery. My concern (again) is that battery may shift (although it's bolted down) and cause that sensor to get bumped and I'm back at square one. Thanks again gentlemen...
The sensor should not be touching the battery. The sensor connector should be on the bottom, pointing down.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by 30th_ANNIV_Z28
so a little bit of a hijack my sensor light is always on. i check my coolant all the time but its always full. Bad sensor?
There are tons of low coolant sensor threads with info.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#low_coolant_lamp
Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
There are tons of low coolant sensor threads with info.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#low_coolant_lamp
thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 AM

The sensor connector is connected properly; installed pointing down. I have used the search engine on this site and I see numerous coolant level sensor issues (all being just inoperable; not actually "falling off"). The battery and the coolant level sensor are actually touching. My question I ask; "Has anyone else ever heard or seen this issue before?"
Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM

The sensor connector is connected properly; installed pointing down. I have used the search engine on this site and I see numerous coolant level sensor issues (all being just inoperable; not actually "falling off"). The battery and the coolant level sensor are actually touching. My question I ask; "Has anyone else ever heard or seen this issue before?"
hey buddy i was reading your thread of what you said and i have experienced your problem with the coolant sensor, I read on one of the replys that shoebox said when u said ur battery is touching the sensor,on my 94 my battery sits perfect and doesnt move or bump the sensor.but there was a time when my sensor popped b/c i was doin some work on my car and i must have bumped the sensor,and when i drove the sensor popped off.but id make sure that the clips on the sensor on locked on the radiator.good luck Z
Old 04-07-2011, 07:07 AM

As designed, the battery is not supposed to touch the sensor. Take a look at your battery hold down, they are known to break the mounting tab off at the front, allowing the battery to move. If the battery moves enough to contact the sensor it could actually be the cause....

If the hold down is alright try moving the battery over towards the fender a little, enough that it doesn't touch the sensor.