LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Coolant level low / low coolant light

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:53 PM

Coolant level low / low coolant light

Ok, so I had the car stored since december, same thing every year, did nothign different. Ive had it out numerous times so far this spring but only recently I saw the low coolant light came on. So I checked the level in the reservoir and it was reading at the low level when the motor was hot. So I topped it off and light goes away. On my way home the light comes back on about 1/2 way on a 15 mile drive. Get home and it is at the low level again.

I topped it off and havent driven it since, there is not a drop of coolant on my garage floor, and I see no signs of it anywhere from under the car, it is bone dry everywhere. I just did an oil change before this happened and the oil was PERFECT... not soupy at all, so it cant be a head gasket. Im just puzzled as to where this coolant is getting consumed? Could I have air in the system possibly? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Any suggestions...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Sometimes the sensors go bad, most people just unplug them. Pull your oil dipstick and see if it smells like coolant, I'm pretty sure that's how you can tell if you've got a blown head gasket. It's probably just the sensor gone bad if you haven't seen any other symptoms.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:04 PM

I would double check that you don't have a small leak coming from any of the hose connections. Also, check the weep hole on the underside of the water pump housing.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tfs95z28
So I checked the level in the reservoir and it was reading at the low level when the motor was hot. So I topped it off and light goes away. On my way home the light comes back on about 1/2 way on a 15 mile drive. Get home and it is at the low level again.
You have to check the level in the radiator, not in the reservoir. The level sensor is on the radiator.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:53 PM

My car is doing something similar. After I changed the water pump last November, bled both bleeder screws and getting an air free coolant flow from both, topping the radiator and overflow jug off, I get the low coolant light. The heater will not blow hot air until the light illuminates, and it does not illuminate until the engine reaches operating temp. The overflow and radiator remain full. I’m not too worried, but I watch the temp gauge closely since it never has gone beyond normal limits and I’ve not seen or heard anything that indicates an overheating engine. Temp sensor?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Also, check the weep hole on the underside of the water pump housing.
I heard that might be the culprit... Ill have to check that out, but if it is leaking wouldnt it be on the ground at all?

Also, thanks Injuneer... Ill do that too...
Old 05-21-2007, 08:09 PM

Let it run for a few minutes standing still and it will have some coolant on the ground if it's coming out the water pump.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:22 AM

Ok, I know the water pump is right above the opti... but is this weep hole easily visible? Because everything around there seems to be fine...

Am I looking in the wrong spot? Anybody have pictures or can point me in the right direction?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:50 AM

I am about to go buy a new coolant sensor....the light is really starting to **** me off.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

If you unplug the sensor, the light will go off.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:46 PM

I Had The Same Problem With My Car,and I Park Mine Just Like You, I Had A Different Line Made A Few Years Ago,for One Of My Heater Lines,anyways The 1 Connection,was A Compression Fitting,and I Drove The Car With This Light Coming On And Off For Close To A Year,till I Found My Problem, Anyways,i Found It By Driving The Car A Long Ways,and Brought It Home And Put It In The Garage,i Smelled Antifreeze, After I Parked It,anyways The Next Morning,i Got To Looking,and Started It,and Moved All My Hose Around A Little Bit While It Was Running,and I Found A Leak At The Compression Fitting,you Should Check This Option Out,you Shouldnt Have The Compression Fitting,however I Would Assume It Could Happen With The Other Connections As Well,because It Didnt Leak While It Was Just Sitting There,i Had To Put A Little Pressure On The Hose To Find The Leak. Good Luck
Old 05-24-2007, 01:35 AM

what compression fitting are you talkin about? u never say? wtf?

Last edited by tfs95z28; 05-26-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:18 PM

Ok... been trying to figure this out, I ran the car for about 15 minutes with the radiator cap off just in case there was air in the system, which there wasnt. The radiator was COMPLETELY full, so Im still not sure why this light keeps coming on. Where is the fill sensor exactly? I want to take a look at it and see if it is fouled up. I really have no idea why the low coolant light keeps coming on. I was under the car for awhile trying to see this weep hole on the water pump, but I saw nothing and it was bone dry around there anyway.

Any suggestions people? Is the sensor just shot? I find it hard to believe that that is all it is...
Old 05-26-2007, 06:22 PM

ive had that prob before, put in new sensor, worked for me. Was a pretty easy task.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:32 PM

where is the sensor?

Quick Reply: Coolant level low / low coolant light