LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

coolant fan running when car is moving

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:53 PM

coolant fan running when car is moving

Hi there, so here's the problem. Slightly different to what seems to be the usual fan constantly on issue. 95 LT1, and my coolant fan runs after about 2-3 minutes from cold start and keeps running while the car is moving. If I stop the car at say traffic lights the fan will stop running after about 10-15 seconds. It then starts as soon as I start moving again. No SES lights on.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:50 PM

Re: coolant fan running when car is moving

Have you actually scanned for trouble codes? There are some "silent" codes that don't cause the SES to come on.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:31 PM

Hi cheers for the idea; no i gabby....I didn't realise there were silent fault codes. Will do.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Administrator

What coolant temp does the dash gauge indicate when the fans are running/car moving? ...... and after you are stopped at a light for 15 seconds and the fans go off? If the air dam is missing from under the front bumper, the car can overheat when rolling at higher speeds.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:48 PM

Hi injuneer. This car is quite different now from ore fan issue. I had a problem with ignition so changed coil and terminated hot lead from coil which had corroded and fell off in my hand. This cured the misfire I was getting above 4000. I did take air box and AIR pipe off bet I've quadruple checked all is connected again correct. The fan issue started just after this job but I don't think straight away (could be coincidence only).aur dam is fitted. Pre fan issue temp used to sit about 1mm below middle and would soak rise to about 2mm below 3/4 where fan would kick in and drop temp to say 4mm below 1/2 and then fans would shut off and temp would stabilise about 1mm below 1/2. Now it sits just over 1/2 to maybe 1/2 mm above 1/2. And now it never rises. Which on any other car would be fine. Buts it's wAy different from what it used to do. And the fan shutting off after I've been stationary for day 15 seconds is just weird. I'd had the car for a year before this fault so was used to the normal pre fan behaviour. I drive it every week day 80km round trip in residential and freeway so temp used to fluctuate like a yoyo; it woukd happily take a freeway beating and run cool. After a veering it would soak rise and eventually after a couple of fan rise drop cycles would remove most of the block heat. But it always just seemed to do its job. It's so different now I'm concerned. Car is stock apart from cat has been removed. I don't think the fan issue was there after the cat was removed but can't be 100%. It may have happened then; but I was so taken by the new muffler I didn't notice
Old 11-19-2017, 08:56 AM
Administrator

The temps having stabilized would seem to confirm the fans are running constantly, when moving. A data log of the PCM would allow us to look for possible reasons this is happening. Best thing to do is download this free scanning software:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/

It will pull codes, show when they set, in addition to logging things like coolant temp, fan relay status, and numerous other sensors and PCM parameters. Several codes cause the fans to run all the time. That's why Rob/Shoebox focused on codes.

If you run the data log, you can upload the .csv file as an attachment to a post, and I will review it for you.

It would be helpful if you would list any significant engine mods, whether the PCM has ever been tuned, transmission type, vehicle mileage, thermostat emperature, etc.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Administrator

And, checking your IP address confirms you are in New Zealand. Is this a right hand drive conversion?
Old 11-19-2017, 03:07 PM

Hi injuneer I'll have to eBay in a lead to get the data out so that could take a while. No mods I'm aware of amaryllis from taking the cat out. ex *** import still left hook 65000 miles.