LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Computer Safe Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Computer Safe Mode?

Im currently waiting on getting some pieces I ordered. The car currently does NOT have any sort of intake system. Would it be an issue to drive the car just from side to side of the street with no IAT or MAF?

Im not going fast or anything just alternate side. Cause the car idles fine, but as soon as you put it into gear it feels like it wants to die out. Is this the computer putting the car into a safe mode or something? I heard I could run it like speed density but wanted to know if their is truth to that or not.

Car is a 1994 Z28
Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 AM

Dont drive like that. At all
Old 08-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Administrator

May not be a problem. The system is designed to default to speed-density with no MAF sensor. But the system needs the IAT sensor to run correctly in speed-density. If the only problem is there is no intake ducting to mount the IAT sensor in, and you still have the IAT sensor, simply leave the sensor plugged into the harness and hanging free. That will allow it to run accurately enough for a few minutes.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:36 PM

Sorry I apologize I was slightly tipsy yesterday haha...Dont think I did too bad explaning

Im waiting on the WHOLE intake assembly from elbow to air box to come in this week. I dont have any of the sensors currently so would that be causing the car to studder so bad in gear? Its an instant transition from idling fine to almost like shutting off. Im going to possibly take a video today and see what happens and try to post it up
Old 08-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator

I gave you the answer. I figured you had no intake from the air box to the throttle body.

The PCM can run the engine fine without the MAF sensor (unless its highly modified, to the point where the VE tables would need to be tweeked - but you provided no info about the car, other than the year) . It just needs the IAT sensor, to gauge air temperature for the speed-density calculation. If you don't have an IAT sensor to plug into the engine harness, don't drive it. It's going to run poorly. Running without an air filter is also a bad idea. Seems like it went from moving it from one side of the street for parking to driving it farther.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 PM

No I was just clarifying what you said. I know not to drive it long distances with out any sort of filter, it is just side to side. But if its going to break up that badly Im just going to ask for an extension on leaving it in the lot its in.

I tried starting it today and its just doesnt seem to wanna run. I dont know how to properly descibe it as it turned on the other day and ran fine. now it just seem seem to like get gas or something. Im going to take the gas thats in there out as its been sitting for over a year and try and throw some new gas in and see if that helps.