LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Completely Removing Vats (no resistor or PCM mods)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:07 PM

Completely Removing Vats (no resistor or PCM mods)

All,
I'm interested in completely removing my Vats system, that includes the solenoid and control module. I don't want to just do the resistor trick, and I cannot do the PCM reprogram.
Any tips on how to do this? Helpfull diagram http://shbox.com/1/starter_charging_95.jpg
Can I just yank out all that stuff and rewire a few wires?
I can't reprogram the PCM because the car is being built for a class where I can't touch the PCM, also I want to rip it all out (extra weight) so the resistor mod won't work. This is for a '95 6spd car.

thanks.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:36 PM

Re: Completely Removing Vats (no resistor or PCM mods)

No way around it. If you rip it all out the PCM will cut fuel and you wont be going anywhere. Since you cant modify your computer you will have to wire in the resistor.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:53 PM

there is a module I've seen on ebay that puts out the correct signal for the PCM fuel enable, with this, you can get rid of all the rest of the system

EDIT: heres one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33720

Last edited by Dave89IROC; 05-04-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
there is a module I've seen on ebay that puts out the correct signal for the PCM fuel enable, with this, you can get rid of all the rest of the system

EDIT: heres one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33720

Wow, learn something new everyday.

Last edited by jchevy; 05-04-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by y5e06
All,
I'm interested in completely removing my Vats system, that includes the solenoid and control module. I don't want to just do the resistor trick, and I cannot do the PCM reprogram.
Any tips on how to do this? Helpfull diagram http://shbox.com/1/starter_charging_95.jpg
Can I just yank out all that stuff and rewire a few wires?
I can't reprogram the PCM because the car is being built for a class where I can't touch the PCM, also I want to rip it all out (extra weight) so the resistor mod won't work. This is for a '95 6spd car.

thanks.
If you take out the BCM, you have 2 areas to contend with. One is the starter circuit. The other is the fuel enable signal to the PCM. You could wire around the PCM to the fuel pump and give it power with any 'keyed" source. Meaning, when the key is "on", the pump is on. That's easy.

The other area is the theft deterrent relay which controls power to the starter solenoid. Simply jump the purple wire to the yellow wire on the relay and the starter circuit will work without the VATS or the BCM. HOWEVER. The engine will now crank when you turn the key no matter where the tranny is or the clutch. Meaning, you will hit things if the car is in gear and you crank the engine. THIS MOD IS DANGEROUS FOR A STREET CAR.

Easy fix. Let's try something hard
Old 05-06-2005, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by slopokrodrigez
If you take out the BCM, you have 2 areas to contend with. One is the starter circuit. The other is the fuel enable signal to the PCM. You could wire around the PCM to the fuel pump and give it power with any 'keyed" source. Meaning, when the key is "on", the pump is on. That's easy.

The other area is the theft deterrent relay which controls power to the starter solenoid. Simply jump the purple wire to the yellow wire on the relay and the starter circuit will work without the VATS or the BCM. HOWEVER. The engine will now crank when you turn the key no matter where the tranny is or the clutch. Meaning, you will hit things if the car is in gear and you crank the engine. THIS MOD IS DANGEROUS FOR A STREET CAR.

Easy fix. Let's try something hard
it still won't start, without the fuel enable signal, there is no injector pulse

and no, just jumping the theft deterrant relay will not make it start in any gear, there is still the clutch/neutral safety switch in the circuit

and IIRC, there still wasn't a BCM in a 95
Old 05-07-2005, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
and no, just jumping the theft deterrant relay will not make it start in any gear, there is still the clutch/neutral safety switch in the circuit

and IIRC, there still wasn't a BCM in a 95
By jumping around the TDR relay as I had stated, eliminates the function of the clutch or tranny position switch no matter what you push, don't push or otherwise. IT WILL CRANK IN GEAR. Study and understand the schematic for the theft deterrent system.

The BCM in earlier models was called the theft deterrent module. My bad for calling it the wrong thing. The fuel enable signal can be tricked quite easily with a SIM since the signal is a "wave" form.