LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Code 43 ESC Failure ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 08:12 PM

Code 43 ESC Failure ??

Ok, finally got a scan on my car, what is this error. This looks like the only error that I was getting. I used free scan, I'll try and post the logs in a second, not sure how though.. will try.

Any clue what this error is?

Jason
Old 08-03-2004, 08:20 PM

Re: Code 43 ESC Failure ??

The knock sensor (Electronic Spark Control (ESC)) circuit has a problem.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:21 PM

So does that mean my knock sensor is bad? sorry I dont know anything at all about the computer side of these cars.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:37 PM

Could be that or the wire is cut/damaged..
Old 08-03-2004, 08:41 PM

Heres a pic of the sensor.... Check for loose connection or damage wire first

http://shbox.com/1/ks.jpg
Old 08-03-2004, 09:00 PM

I know the wire was damaged, because when I pulled the motor out I forgot to disconnect it and wripped it right off.

Then when I put the motor back in, I kinda messed up and thought it was a ground wire. Left it like that for about 1.5 years, before I realized what I did, and fixed it.

Then shortly after fixing it, these problems started. I thought this could be the problem, but figured there was no chance fixing it to work correct would cause the problem I was having. I figured it was something else I had done. I have an issue of doing too many things at once, then trying to figure out where a problem is.. Hence this cars entire history.

At any rate, what recommendations do you guys have? Just reground the wire? (to make sure it's the problem) if it is the problem.. then what?

Is it possible that when I ripped it out, that I damaged the knock Sensor itself? I Replaced part of the wire and end cap when I did fix the wire. (but I guess there is a chance that replacement was bad?)

I dunno, what do you think?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:17 PM

With the connector off the KS, check for 5v on the harness terminal with key ON. Continue if that is good. If not good, check at pin D22 on back of PCM.

Key OFF. Connector off. On the knock sensor measure the resistance between the KS terminal and ground. Resistance should be between 3300-4500 ohms. If it is not, the sensor is faulty or the sensor is not making good contact with the block.

If all that is good, it might be the knock module or faulty pcm.

Last edited by shoebox; 08-04-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:29 AM

Ok, I replaced the Ignition Module and regrounded the Knock Sensor Wire, and it's still doing it. What else could it be? Is it possible that a Knock Module can go bad?
Old 08-04-2004, 09:33 AM

What do you mean "re-grounded the wire"? The wire goes on the knock sensor. Did you do the tests I mentioned?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:38 AM

It's a long story about regrounding the wire. But Basically when I pulled the motor out I didn't disconnect that sensor and wripped it off. Then when I put the motor back in, I thought it was a ground wire, and grounded it... The car ran fine, I just figured it was making it read no knock at all. ran like this for about 1.5 years..

Then when I did the alternator/battery relocation, I knew that was a problem and fixed it. Then really ever since then my car hasn't run correctly.

I haven't gotten a chance to run that test yet. I dont have one of those tools. My friend is bringing one to work, so I should be able to test it tonight. I'm also going to another friends house and borrowing his extra computer.

--One thing that does worry me is that I thought for sure there was a ground wire on that side of the engine, just a small one. And I haven't been able to find it... Any idea where in the wireloom the ground wire comes from?--
Old 08-04-2004, 10:51 AM

On that picutre of the knock sensor on the web site, it shows the knock sensor wire blue? Maybe I've got my wires mixed up? I've got a black/white wire there.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wicked
On that picutre of the knock sensor on the web site, it shows the knock sensor wire blue? Maybe I've got my wires mixed up? I've got a black/white wire there.
That may be some confusion. Look here. The black/white wire goes to a stud (ground) on the block that is just below the #6 plug. The light blue wire goes to the knock sensor.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:37 PM

Oh, well that's great.. guess i need to find the knock sensor wire then.. where in the looms can I find this wire?
Old 08-04-2004, 02:42 PM

It's in the same loom with the purple starter wire and of course the black/white ground wire. They travel up toward the computer.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Administrator

They both come out of the harness in the same place. Check Shoebox's wiring harness photo:

http://shbox.com/1/1995_Z28_engine_harness_A4.jpg

Quick Reply: Code 43 ESC Failure ??