LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Coating the underside of the intake manifold to reduce heatsoak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Silvershark
Just add a big heatsink/fan on top of the intake. Much like a computer processor has.

I think I just found a new use for those electric superchargers they try to sell for our cars.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Haha!

Somone please do this and post a picture. This would be sooo funny. Make a custom hood scoop so when people ask if the air damn is functional you could say yes with 100% complete confidence!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Flaking off is a risk but a very low risk. This epoxy is hard and tight and does not flake. My intake manifolds have had this coating for about 6 years now.
But apply at your own risk.
Karl
Old 03-20-2007, 05:12 PM

I still think it's a good idea to mount your fire extinguisher inside so that the nozzel hits the intake manifold and just before you get on it, hit it with the extinguisher thus cooling the and the content therein thereby providing cooler air enriched with oxygen resulting in at least 100 additional RWHP.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
I still think it's a good idea to mount your fire extinguisher inside so that the nozzel hits the intake manifold and just before you get on it, hit it with the extinguisher thus cooling the and the content therein thereby providing cooler air enriched with oxygen resulting in at least 100 additional RWHP.
you could actually do this using those CO2 canisters for paintball guns.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:19 PM

Then what the hell are we waiting for?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
Then what the hell are we waiting for?
Go right ahead if you want. It's prolly a little safer than using nitrous but youl'l be lucky to see 10HP gain.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:09 PM

Since the 20-3300 is a resistive thermal barrier, it's resistance to heat transfer, and thus thermal effectiveness, depends on thickness. Thus a thick coat would be nececessary to significantly change heat transfer to the air charge.

No offense to the originator, but to me, improving .15 sec is pretty hard to believe based only on the increased thermal resistance of a thin, brushed on layer. I don't know how much air density needs to increase to improve that much, but somebody familiar with correcting for DA can probably tell us. A thermocouple in the airstream in one of the intake ports during before/after testing would be more conclusive relative to the thermal improvement. If anybody here is going to try this, that's what I suggest as 'convincing evidence'.

Maybe the reduction in surface roughness helps, too.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:12 PM

Stoney would not take offence. He's a cool dude. I contend that even a thin layer of epoxy reduces heat transfer to the incomming air significantly.
I won't spend the money to prove it though. Stone actually did some calory to horsepower calculations and the amount "saved" was eye opening.
Karl

Originally Posted by JP95ZM6
Since the 20-3300 is a resistive thermal barrier, it's resistance to heat transfer, and thus thermal effectiveness, depends on thickness. Thus a thick coat would be nececessary to significantly change heat transfer to the air charge.

No offense to the originator, but to me, improving .15 sec is pretty hard to believe based only on the increased thermal resistance of a thin, brushed on layer. I don't know how much air density needs to increase to improve that much, but somebody familiar with correcting for DA can probably tell us. A thermocouple in the airstream in one of the intake ports during before/after testing would be more conclusive relative to the thermal improvement. If anybody here is going to try this, that's what I suggest as 'convincing evidence'.

Maybe the reduction in surface roughness helps, too.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by quickSS
Stoney would not take offence. He's a cool dude. I contend that even a thin layer of epoxy reduces heat transfer to the incomming air significantly.
I won't spend the money to prove it though. Stone actually did some calory to horsepower calculations and the amount "saved" was eye opening.
Karl
Theres an easy way to test that thin layer theory. Il'l try and set something up. I'm gonna request a sample of it (they give out 1 pint samples) if they give me one then il'l take a peice of sheet steel (14 gauge I believe) strip it with a wire brush on both sides (rust and primer) paint a small area with the epoxy then use an acetylene torch to heat up the metal on the other side of the epoxy and measure the epoxy's temperature with an ir thermometer. Then il'l heat a peice of steel with no coating, no primer or rust and measure the other side with the same ir thermometer on the same day with the same torch settings and the same time for both peices.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:52 PM

that would be a very good test.
Karl
Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 PM

I bet there are a lot of us interested in this test. I have the same problem.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Submitted a request for a sample, who knows if theyl'l approve since the only company I work for/can order for is a software company.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 AM

That's a cool idea for a test, I agree.

IR temperature sensing is affected by emissivity, which put simply is the 'radiating effectiveness' (mostly finish and color) of the surface. When our thermal techs do an underhood IR temperarure survey, they spray a uniform coating on all the parts to 'equalize' their emissivity. Shiny/light colored surfaces have relatively low emissivity, black is higher. That's one reason bright coated and polished headers radiate less heat. A 'Black Body' has the highest emissivity. Emissivity variation can trick the infrared thermometer - different emissivities at the same temperature read differently. Similar effect occurs on the heat absorbing side. I think painting a coat of HT flat paint on both sides of the sheet metal after putting the epoxie on would go a long way toward equalizing the emissivity.

Anytime I would ask for an IR temp A-B test, the techs would make a big deal about how the results were meaningless unless the emissivity of both parts was the same.

I have never measured this effect, and I don't have a feel for how significant it is. To find out, another interesting test would be to put a shiny metal block, and an identical flat black painted one, in the oven until they are the same temperature. Then measure both with an IR thermometer. But I don't have an IR thermometer. Hint
Old 03-21-2007, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by JP95ZM6
That's a cool idea for a test, I agree.

IR temperature sensing is affected by emissivity, which put simply is the 'radiating effectiveness' (mostly finish and color) of the surface. When our thermal techs do an underhood IR temperarure survey, they spray a uniform coating on all the parts to 'equalize' their emissivity. Shiny/light colored surfaces have relatively low emissivity, black is higher. That's one reason bright coated and polished headers radiate less heat. A 'Black Body' has the highest emissivity. Emissivity variation can trick the infrared thermometer - different emissivities at the same temperature read differently. Similar effect occurs on the heat absorbing side. I think painting a coat of HT flat paint on both sides of the sheet metal after putting the epoxie on would go a long way toward equalizing the emissivity.

Anytime I would ask for an IR temp A-B test, the techs would make a big deal about how the results were meaningless unless the emissivity of both parts was the same.

I have never measured this effect, and I don't have a feel for how significant it is. To find out, another interesting test would be to put a shiny metal block, and an identical flat black painted one, in the oven until they are the same temperature. Then measure both with an IR thermometer. But I don't have an IR thermometer. Hint
Il'l be testing against wire brushed metal i'm only going to measure the effectiveness of the epoxy on one side (the side i'm going to heat).

Quick Reply: Coating the underside of the intake manifold to reduce heatsoak?