LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Chip? Modules? Flash Programmer??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Chip? Modules? Flash Programmer??

Hay guys!!! What is the most bang for the buck the REAL seat of your pants you can feel?? One of those chips that you replace the thermostat with? Or one of those piggyback modules? I don't know any one here in philly that can tell me about those Flash programmers. But I don't like the idea of me paying $300 and plugging A GAMEBOY in to my car and answering Yes/NO questions and then waiting 10 mins to install!! (but if its worth it let me know) And I drive my car hard every day rain snow and BIRD S?$% ! Or do I get A dyno tune? You guys know better then me tell me what you got what do you think?? My baby is A 94 Z28 Moroso air intake Granatelli mas air Bbk 58 mm TB Edelbrock intake Edelbrock shorty headers Magnaflow cat Flowmaster cat back Auto trans Hughes 2500 stall. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator

The "chips" (your 94's is "fixed", you can't replace it), piggyback modules and canned programmers like the Hypertech are virtually useless. Your best bet is a mail order tune from someone highly experieinced with the LT1. You aren't going to see much in the way of gains... maybe 12 HP achieved through leaning out the overly rich stock tune's power enrichment (PE) mode target A/F ratio. Maybe a couple bonus HP for the exhaust, but that's about it.

I'm not aware of any "chip that you replace the thermostat with". You can couple a 160-degF t'stat with reprogrammed fan on/off temps, and a small amount of extra ignition advance to help with the HP, but that's about it.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 PM

I got this guy who also uses Hypertech and he charges 40 dollars to reprogram my PCM. The reasons I looked into this is that my gas mileage is really bad (around 12mpg) and the car sometimes gets too hot in hot days (around 230 F). And more importantly, my car ran outta battery once and they say that'll mess up the PCM program.

Now this guy says he'll do the same $300 service for 40 bucks, make my car get 2mpg better, and get the fan to turn on at 160 F so my car would stay cool. Question is, should I trust my car to this guy? and afterall its 40 bucks, which is cheap, but i still wanna get my money's worth.

should I go for it?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AmirGTR
I got this guy who also uses Hypertech and he charges 40 dollars to reprogram my PCM. The reasons I looked into this is that my gas mileage is really bad (around 12mpg) and the car sometimes gets too hot in hot days (around 230 F). And more importantly, my car ran outta battery once and they say that'll mess up the PCM program.

Now this guy says he'll do the same $300 service for 40 bucks, make my car get 2mpg better, and get the fan to turn on at 160 F so my car would stay cool. Question is, should I trust my car to this guy? and afterall its 40 bucks, which is cheap, but i still wanna get my money's worth.

should I go for it?

Probably be better to start your own thread, rather than "highjacking" Johnny Rage's thread.

The Hypertech is limited to use on one vehicle at a time. If he's broken the code so he can use it on multiple cars, it may work. He can change the fan on/off temps.... but you need the 160-deg thermostat to compliment it. He can't help you pick up 2MPG with the Hypertech. The "power program" had actually been shown in dyno tests to lose HP. "Running out of battery" will not "mess up the PCM program. It is stored in non-volatile memory.

If you're only getting 12 MPG, there's something wrong with the engine. Fix the problem... don't try to band-aid it with a phony tune.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:50 AM

never get a canned tune, find a reliable tuner like pcmforless or ed wright , my z has been custom tuned and i get great mpg, 6k redline, no topspeed limiter, i lot more responsive, all i can say is get a custom tune tailored to your mods and u will be alot happier , but if u want the most bang for your buck for the same price of a hypertech , then get a 100hp wet shot ,
Old 09-24-2009, 05:08 PM

COOL cool guys that's what I needed to hear ill read more into the custom tuning. THANKS A LOT !!