LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Changed One O2, Not the Other. Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:29 PM

Changed One O2, Not the Other. Bad Idea?

I changed one O2, but not the other. The other was stuck fast and someone said we would probably have to heat it up with a torch to get it out. I was ready to quit anyway. Now, I get an SES light, but I didn't before (my Opti went out). The car runs like a striped *** ape now, but it has heavy exhaust and fuel odors when running. It did before too, but I thought changing the Opti would correct this. It only corrected the low end power loss. I changed the other O2 at the same time just because I already had it up on the lift.

I'll get it scanned, but I was wondering if there was any problem changing only one O2.

I'm swapping out the engine cradle soon, so this isn't a big concern; I'm going to change the other O2 at the same time anyway. Just thought I'd ask.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:03 PM

Re: Changed One O2, Not the Other. Bad Idea?

Don't everyone chime in at once!!!

Well, I got my engine cradle changed, but they said they wouldn't change the Oh Two. Damn, it's about time for an oil change and spark plug change now.

Original question still pending: "Changed One O2, Not the Other. Bad Idea?"
Old 11-21-2004, 12:16 PM

My opinion is, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Have you had your car scanned to see the readings of the 02sensors? Normally, O2 sensors will trigger an SES light, and you said you've had one, but without getting it scanned, you can't know what the SES is about.

What year is your car? Have you had your PCM programmed? Mods?

And to answer your question...no it doesn't hurt to have just one replaced, just as long as the one you were replacing was bad, and the other one was still doing its job. O2 sensors will always tell you when is time to be replaced.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:54 PM

My opinion is:

Bad Idea. The life span of both sensors is now different from each other. when the old one begins the slow bleeding death... its gunna have one of your banks run either rich or lean I cant remember what is what.... then you may start throwing parts at the car trying to fix that split BLMs issue and cursing the day your car was made.... well maybe not that dramatic but you get my drift.

Or best case scenario... you will do the job of replacing sensors twice and if the next time you only replace the old one... then you'll be setting yourself up for one more round with oxygen sensors. Unless you get rid of your car that is. The way I look at it is..... replace them both at the same time and make both cylinder banks be oxy-janitised evenly ;-)

Then again I maybe wrong...

Marvin
Old 11-21-2004, 06:55 PM

Good answers, but I should have been clearer with what I was looking for specifically. Somewhere, I thought I read that changing one O2 without changing the other hurt the new sensor.

I'm going to get the other changed as soon as I can. I just wish it wasn't such a bitch to do.